Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

The fact that it crashes Youtube or other videos you're watching might indicate it's video card/driver related, which other people's issues also seem to be. We'll look into it.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 09, 2017, 05:32:38 PM
The fact that it crashes Youtube or other videos you're watching might indicate it's video card/driver related, which other people's issues also seem to be. We'll look into it.

- Oshyan

That was my thought. Before I went off line with Terragen every time windows would update TG would give me problems till I updated my video card driver. Being offline with TG I get no win updates and it seems way batter. Running win 7 pro on the offline so wouldn't be getting updates anyway now.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on August 09, 2017, 05:32:38 PM

- Oshyan

Thanks for the response. So at least it's not me, thought maybe I have some memory thing switched off in tg.
Also explains the lags I experience when watching videos etc while rendering. But it's kind of my fault for painting in photoshop and streaming it while listening to music on youtube while rendering a huge scene in TG.

Martin

Oh I was experimenting with a simple cell diff noise as rock displacement. I usually make a big complex node network to achieve a nice variety of displacement, but this time two cell noise and both of them with two warp shaders,just a bit, both different sizes to create a nice complexity. I also merged them with the subtract mode and got some nice results. Also the textures are usually pretty complex, with little ,and big patches, dark leaks, dots, moss , cracks etc. But this time, a pretty simple noise shader with distort by normal(haven't used this option for a long time because all the small displacement distorts the noise too much.Not this time. As the rocks where pretty big with clear forms, just with 2.3 normal distortion, the texture follows the forms really nicely.)
So a little morning TG experimenting ended up with some nice new, but simple rock formations. :)

bobbystahr

Well that was 100% successful...keep on tweaking man....Beautiful result.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Very well done, these last, and lava series terrific!

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 12, 2017, 03:07:46 PM
Very well done, these last, and lava series terrific!

Thank you! They were pretty quick morning experimenting, turned out to be interesting!

Martin

Question: I was wondering, does the compute normal node affect the distort normal quality?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on August 13, 2017, 12:26:16 PM
Question: I was wondering, does the compute normal node affect the distort normal quality?

Hmmm, good question...wondered about that as well. Watching this....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 13, 2017, 01:17:26 PM

Yep! Looks like there IS a difference! I'm a bit surprised.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on August 13, 2017, 03:06:32 PM

which one is first, have you tried switching the order?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 13, 2017, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: Martin on August 13, 2017, 03:06:32 PM

which one is first, have you tried switching the order?

I needed a compute normal before the texture shader because some of the extreme displacement stretched the textures. Tried different patch sizes , and the result is just so different I'm not sure if it's better or not...

Martin

Also I couldn't decide between merging the big and smaller displacements with a simple mix merge mode ,or subtract , both gave an interesting result, so in the end I kept both and mixed them together with a mask. So patches of both gives a nice variety. Though I'm still tweaking it.

Kadri

Nice.
Yeah those compute nodes can be good or bad. They can change the landscape quite much.

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 14, 2017, 07:07:18 AM

Nice.
Yeah those compute nodes can be good or bad. They can change the landscape quite much.

Yep. And this case I need one to avoid stretching.

Also: Look at them brick patterns
This sinus function is useful
Time to make a new castle ruin shader