Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Went full sci-fi again

Kadri

I like them.
I don't know the others and please don't get it wrong Martin but your post work-especially blur is too much for me.
I even wait quite a time for the image to get it downloaded but then i see that is actually already downloaded and still blurry :D

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 17, 2017, 06:34:51 PM

I like them.
I don't know the others and please don't get it wrong Martin but your post work-especially blur is too much for me.
I even wait quite a time for the image to get it downloaded but then i see that is actually already downloaded and still blurry :D

I only use a little blur on the sides of the image, simulating a traditional movie camera. (this is been used in hollywood as well when there's a cg scene in a movie.) I think one of the problem is that I cant render higher res pics in the free version.

Kadri

Just curious could you post the raw version of the "hugemoon.jpg" for example?

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 17, 2017, 06:41:55 PM

Just curious could you post the raw version of the "hugemoon.jpg" for example?
That pic doesn't have much blur, just some stronger chromatic aberration to give more visual fidelity to the render , as there's no texture visible on the moon from this close distance. Here.
Base pic plus retro postwork.

Kadri

Subjective but i like the raw ones more. Thanks Martin :)

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 17, 2017, 06:51:31 PM

Subjective but i like the raw ones more. Thanks Martin :)
I only add chromatic aberration on certain space-renders, because rendering a planet always reminds me the old American sci fi moves from the fifties. So I want to add some "retro" old film kind of post work to the picture instinctively.

Kadri

I said it too many times here around but...it is maybe because i mostly hate DOF and cro.abr. :)

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 17, 2017, 07:02:31 PM

I said it too many times here around but...it is maybe because i mostly hate DOF and cro.abr. :)
Oh I know, its subjective. I mostly had good experiences with them, I was happy when I could use them in unreal engine, and when games could finally do it a few years ago, I like it on old movies ,made before the digital camera era etc. So it all depends what kind of experiences you had with dof and Chromatic a. Terragen often produces pictures that are a bit too "digital" or clean, artificial for my tastes, so I like adding these things.I usually play with contrast and blur in Photoshop and just use a value that "feels good" to me.

Kadri

To me digital is actually what we see (more or less).
Chromatic abr. and DOF-blur kind of things are faults in cameras.
Like when you are near or farsighted. You use goggles to get a clear view.
Other then to mimic old movies,cameras etc. those are not more realistic to me. Only closer to that view of time.
Digital (clear images) are actually closer to reality (depending on the quality of the render engine too of course) for me :)

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 17, 2017, 07:18:39 PM

To me digital is actually what we see (more or less).
Chromatic abr. and DOF-blur kind of things are faults in cameras.
Like when you are near or farsighted. You use goggles to get a clear view.
Other then to mimic old movies,cameras etc. those are not more realistic to me. Only closer to that view of time.
Digital (clear images) are actually closer to reality (depending on the quality of the render engine too of course) for me :)

True, but it's missing something- the artistic look.I remember the new hobbit movies were made by the newest 5K digital cameras, but because the picture was too sharp and clean they had to add film grain. Still the 48 frame per second and clear digital looks had a bad reception, because it felt too real(as they've intended it) but being "too real" feels more like watching a webcam show, not an artistic movie with classic camera work. The new Jurassic park movie feels too video gamie for me(even though I do work on video games part time , but the style and look is just not for movies) I missed the yellowish old film feeling. Even the camera work- the Jurassic World had a scene where the camera followed a Chopper crashing into a glass dome-You could see everything, clear picture, but it's just too far from a human experience. A handheld camera zooming in would've been better.The new Rogue one movie used a really nice edgeblur and chromatic aberration, and watching the documentary it's obvious that it gives the digital picture a nice , bit old fashioned , but stylish, artistic look. Also variation and faults what makes something look real usually.
VR is another thing. People criticising  some VR games because it uses lens effects, while in fast a vr experience should be a real virtual reality -without any camera or other intermediate medium.

Kadri

Yes that is the other side. Artistic look etc. And every artist should make the way he wants-feels.

Regarding the Hobbit i unfortunately couldn't see the 48 fps version.
I suspect in some ways it is more about how we are used to watch movies.
I made some small tests with 25 fps versus 60 fps renders and i certainly prefer the fluid high versions.
I kinda understand why they felt like video but it depends on what you are filming too probably.
The hobbits are fantasy movies. When you shoot them like a home video it might be harder to sell them.

For example i didn't liked some of the "Lord of the rings" scenes.
Some were shoot in the open,some in the studio and some were full with VFX and-or very dreamy looking.
They weren't consistent in the fantastic looking style.

Anyway...In the end everybody does it the way he likes it.

Martin

New project.
I've been planning doing a picture like this for a long time. The Polar region of Mars is a really interesting place, pretty "romantic" landscape.
The polar caps are several miles high, so it must be a nice view from up-close. Fun fact- we can't land a rover near the Polar regions, as the rocket approaches  Mars in the planetary plane, so it's quite impossible to turn sharply and land north or south instead of the usual equatorial region.

Made from scratch, I like how the ice turned out, but after 2 hours of render I realised I've made several mistakes, with the dark rock texture showing on the sides of the cracks  etc. I'll render a fixed version tonight.

bobbystahr

Wow, I totally missed your leap into space Martin...nice exploration...'specially the polar Mars idea...good inspiration that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 18, 2017, 04:50:30 PM
Wow, I totally missed your leap into space Martin...nice exploration...'specially the polar Mars idea...good inspiration that.
Yeah, too much grassy hills for me, it was time for some outer space experience haha