Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaminonsiner

Your work is fascinating, everything is done on Terragen?

Martin

Quote from: iaminonsiner on February 16, 2019, 08:32:29 AM
Thank you and yes!:)
*correction, I often raise the contrast and add some film grain in photoshop.

But I don't retouch the renders with new elements or textures or anything. I don't like mixing media, feels cheating.

iaminonsiner

Quote from: Martin on February 16, 2019, 12:02:11 PM

But I don't retouch the renders with new elements or textures or anything. I don't like mixing media, feels cheating.

Incredible. I have been following this subject for quite some time and I am impressed by your work, I find it exceptional and I still can't understand how you manage to get such results... The colours, the planets, the steep terrain, everything is incredibly beautiful and realistic and perfectly realized.

By any chance, have you made any tutorials or topics where you talk in more detail about some of your creations?

Martin

Quote from: iaminonsiner on February 16, 2019, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: Martin on February 16, 2019, 12:02:11 PM

Incredible. I have been following this subject for quite some time and I am impressed by your work, I find it exceptional and I still can't understand how you manage to get such results... The colours, the planets, the steep terrain, everything is incredibly beautiful and realistic and perfectly realized.

By any chance, have you made any tutorials or topics where you talk in more detail about some of your creations?

I was thinking about it but not sure how to do a tutorial.

One thing to add: I'm an illustrator who paints landscapes as well, so -at least I hope-I have a good understanding of colour.
I've been using 3d softwares for almost 2 decades now, and been painting textures- been working in substance designer a lot, so I kinda learnt to understand how textures- and colour variation works.

I usually don't make new textures when I start a new scene, I save nodes when I make a good sand texture, rock texture, or cliff displacement etc, and I keep working on them, tweaking them, and been doing it for years.
While I work on official projects in other software during the day, I Play a bit with terragen before going to sleep, and leave my computer to render the new landscapes at night.

Also I was studying Earth sciences- with a big focus on geology so I use that knowledge to plan out procedural landscapes.

I also use references when I feel something is not right, like when I was experimenting with cliff walls, or Martian landscapes, sand dunes etc.

Most of these landscape textures have many many dozens of nodes, they usually work from really up close the millimeter scale to the big continental scale-I use merge layers to add big colour variations, parts with less busy details, deposits, etc.

Martin

A failure.
I forgot to switch on the shadows from the planet on the distante clouds...
Also the soft shadows were not switched on either.
Now it looks like that giant stone face is enclosed in some fiery glowing clouds  with the shadows of the mountains in the atmosphere have odd geometric forms

Martin

Yep, that's what the landscape needed, a 20 000 meter tall stone head

luvsmuzik

Oh my! ;D

Planet noon.....Danil's plugin or TG internal ? Gorgeous renders, and are you path tracing those two? I was curious about the water, but you always do something unique anywho. :)

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 18, 2019, 09:10:02 AM
Oh my! ;D

Planet noon.....Danil's plugin or TG internal ? Gorgeous renders, and are you path tracing those two? I was curious about the water, but you always do something unique anywho. :)

Danil's erosion plugin!  :)

Martin

Another versions

Martin

I put a big, 60 000 meters tall mountain in the background because why not

Martin

Same height, but smaller sloped mountain, plus sunset.
Note that the top of the mountain is above the atmosphere and gets full daylight.

sjefen

The sense of scale and textures are really awesome!

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

I always thought this kind of thing is how Terragen 2 and newer should be used: to imagine fantastical but realistic places that defy our expectation and reality. Well dome.

- Oshyan

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on February 20, 2019, 06:29:45 PM
I always thought this kind of thing is how Terragen 2 and newer should be used: to imagine fantastical but realistic places that defy our expectation and reality. Well dome.

- Oshyan
Yes, exactly. That's why I mostly make alien planets, giant mountains etc, something that's unique, not just a recreation of a normal Earth environment.

This render is nothing extraordinary though- just some misty lake and mountains.
Two variations. 

/oh also Thank you!:)

Martin

Mars?