SSS (Simple strata shader)

Started by N-drju, September 20, 2017, 06:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Here's a little something that I made by jurry-rigging and reworking a clip file that Ulco gave me once as a problem solution. It's a simple setup for stratas, based on masks created by the warped simple shape shaders.

The use is simple - first use a fractal terrain and strata settings of your choice. Then, modify simple shape shaders named DISPLACEMENT AREA and STRATA AREA (they should be placed at the same location). Finally, hit the "random seed" in the "SHAPE" power fractal to get a random, warped simple shape shader, masking the whole setup.

Note that keeping the strata area slightly tighter than the displacement area, you can have some of the peak/summit unaffected by the strata, offering a little bit more diversity!

It's not much, but I'd like to help. I hope you'll find it fun to play with. And thanks to Ulco, for paving a way to this small clip file!

[attachimg=1]
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

fleetwood

bobbystahr

Cool, thanks for sharing this clip.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Thank you! I am glad you like it.

This setup works best with relatively small shapes when DISPLACEMENT AREA/STRATA AREA size is between 1000x1000 and 3500x3500. Beyond that size, the mask will slowly revert to an unwarped form of any SSS that you are using as a mask.

I'll probably post a version that works with larger values too. Meanwhile, consider this - the larger mask (DISPLACEMENT AREA + STRATA AREA) you are planning for, the higher the values in this network should go.

Let's say you are planning for a DISPLACEMENT AREA of 10000x5000. It would be prudent then, to increase the "final multiplier" value in the "vector displacement shader" to around 10000 as well. The SHAPE fractal size should also be increased. This way, the mask will remain nicely warped.

Well, actually the values might be different because I'm speaking out of my mind. But the general principle is accurate.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on September 21, 2017, 03:09:18 AM
Thank you! I am glad you like it.

This setup works best with relatively small shapes when DISPLACEMENT AREA/STRATA AREA size is between 1000x1000 and 3500x3500. Beyond that size, the mask will slowly revert to an unwarped form of any SSS that you are using as a mask.

I'll probably post a version that works with larger values too. Meanwhile, consider this - the larger mask (DISPLACEMENT AREA + STRATA AREA) you are planning for, the higher the values in this network should go.

Let's say you are planning for a DISPLACEMENT AREA of 10000x5000. It would be prudent then, to increase the "final multiplier" value in the "vector displacement shader" to around 10000 as well. The SHAPE fractal size should also be increased. This way, the mask will remain nicely warped.

Well, actually the values might be different because I'm speaking out of my mind. But the general principle is accurate.

Thanks also for these tips.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Here's an example of a mask 17000x20000 across along with the values. :) It's always better to show than only tell about it:

[attachimg=1]

Of course, it's an example mask for the DISPLACEMENT AREA only. No actual displacement here.

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on September 21, 2017, 01:15:38 PM
Here's an example of a mask 17000x20000 across along with the values. :) It's always better to show than only tell about it:

[attachimg=1]

Of course, it's an example mask for the DISPLACEMENT AREA only. No actual displacement here.

I completely agree. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AndyWelder

Thank you for sharing and explaining!
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel