Rock Study

Started by mhaze, August 04, 2017, 05:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Just a study! Rocks and veg took 26 mins, with clouds,out of the box settings, 9 hours!!!! and that's with 4.1!

Dune

Well, the rocks are awesome. The landscape itself as well, btw, really worth expanding upon.  I guess with V2 clouds you can almost get a similar look and much faster. You don't really need awesome clouds for this.

zaxxon

Great rock formations! The cloud render hit is ridiculous though. I do like the results however. Overall a very, very fine image.

mhaze

Cheers all,  Dune, I might well play with this some more when rebuilding my son's house allows!!!

Dune

Give it to me, and I'll play with it while you're building  ;)

DannyG

Love this Mick. Don't like the render time thou. I am sure you can get that down a bit with decreasing the voxels and some other tweaks
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

mhaze

Thanks Danny,  I've yet to study the finer points of easy clouds - this will give me a good excuse!  Dune, I'll post a cut down version in file sharing.

Dune

That's very kind of you, Mick.

bobbystahr

Yup, that's a gooder so I went and gotter...thanks again....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

I absolutely love the rock formations and texturing, and thank you for sharing!

I'm surprised by the extreme cloud render time. It feels like your settings can't be optimal since the cloud look doesn't appear to demand such render time. I'd be curious to look at your settings, either in a TGD or just screenshot of cloud settings (Quality and Optimization tabs plus AA and Cloud GI settings in Render node)

- Oshyan

mhaze

Thanks Oshyan, .tgc for clouds attached.  Detail .8, AA8. Cloud GI quality Still/High, max ray depth 2, voxel scattering 50

luvsmuzik

Great! Wonderful reference share, thank you very much!

Oshyan

Ah. I suppose it was probably the combination of Still/High GI (perhaps unnecessary since the v3 clouds are a background element here), and cloud quality settings. I have made an optimized version of the .tgd that renders with almost identical lighting (it would be hard to argue there is lower "quality", the difference is incredibly minor), and with actually less noise, and takes less than half the time. TGD and image example attached. The original settings you had took 4 hours, 25 minutes on my dual Xeon machine, while the optimized version attached took just 2 hours, 4 minutes (and again has less noise). Primarily what I did was lower the cloud GI setting one notch (you could probably even get away with "low" stills setting and save even more time), and then reduce cloud ray-marching quality to 0.5 (default) but increase voxel scattering quality (in cloud GI settings in Render node).

- Oshyan

zaxxon

An interesting and useful exercise. Thanks for setting it up and sharing the results.