Testing TG 4.1.1

Started by bobbystahr, August 05, 2017, 03:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

This is an overgrown Royal Road and the pillar is a Mile Marker, now overgrown and becoming part of the flora. I did a series of 3 of these and the first 2 rendered at 20 min approx. with Detail .4 AA 5. This one is Detail 1 and AA 6 and rendered in 01:01:52. I'm impressed.
C&C welcome, was just messing around but if y got input I'm all ears.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on August 05, 2017, 11:42:37 AM
Nice mood!

Thanks, that's the good part...I'll get the other parts better soon heh heh...just learn slower with aging "little grey cells"
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Love the rays! Detail 1 seems really unnecessary though. I know the 1h render time is not bothering you, but getting in the habit of using 1 "because I can" or "for the hell of it" is not a good idea IMO. I would suggest 0.7 or so, you will get plenty of detail and save on render time. You can put the time into more AA for less noisy in the atmo. ;)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 05, 2017, 08:37:48 PM
Love the rays! Detail 1 seems really unnecessary though. I know the 1h render time is not bothering you, but getting in the habit of using 1 "because I can" or "for the hell of it" is not a good idea IMO. I would suggest 0.7 or so, you will get plenty of detail and save on render time. You can put the time into more AA for less noisy in the atmo. ;)

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan, actually I almost never go above .5 M Detail but thought I'd see what effect it had. I'll try one with your recommendation and report back. Was pleasantly surprised at the speed of the render though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well Oshyan, I'll admit the noise is gone with cranked AA but lowering the detail while increasing the AA nearly tripled the render time. Still under 3 hours though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Well, the increased AA is nice. What does "cranked" mean though, specifically. ;)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 09, 2017, 05:30:55 PM
Well, the increased AA is nice. What does "cranked" mean though, specifically. ;)

- Oshyan

cranked is a contraction of cranked up=turned up in correct English...as in Crank up the volume.

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Oh I know what it means as a word. What I meant is what was your specific AA setting? You can imagine that "cranking" a setting (AA) while slightly reducing another setting (detail) is not necessarily going to result in lower render time. The quality is certainly notably higher. But perhaps a better balance can be struck. Anyway...

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 09, 2017, 08:39:06 PM
Oh I know what it means as a word. What I meant is what was your specific AA setting? You can imagine that "cranking" a setting (AA) while slightly reducing another setting (detail) is not necessarily going to result in lower render time. The quality is certainly notably higher. But perhaps a better balance can be struck. Anyway...

- Oshyan

heh heh, my english 2 english comprehension is off i guess..I set it at 8 IIRC, and your're quite right about the quality...guess I need to be a wee bit more daring in my settings for render.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New