Snow on Wavefront OBJ

Started by Philipp_g, August 06, 2017, 06:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philipp_g

Hi
I have tried to put snow on a house that I have built in blender and exported and imported in Terragen 4 as a Wavefront OBJ.
I checked several posts here and it seems that one can put a surface shader between the texture shader and the parts shader and use the slope function. But whatever I try it is not working. In the node I only can find the parts shader and no texture shader.
The method to put snow on trees I already figured out. What do I do wrong with the OBJ?
Thanks for suggestions

Oshyan

Inside of the Parts Shader should be multiple Object Parts (gray node color) with attached Default Shaders. If you're not seeing these then it's quite possible your exported OBJ doesn't have texturing info included with it. It could be that no .mtl is being exported by Blender (it should be able to do this, so check export options), or that the .mtl is blank or not correctly formatted. If no UVs are setup in Blender and you intend to texture it entirely using procedurals then just connect your "snow" node(s) directly to the Surface Shader input of the Object node.

- Oshyan

Philipp_g

Hi Oshyan

Thank you for your fast reply.
I have done it here and it is not working.
With all the trees an highfields this method works fine so I must miss some important thing here. Or is it not possible just to put snow on the roof of an OBJ with this method?

With best regards Philipp
[attach=1]

Hannes

Choose "Limit maximum slope" and check "Use Y" at the bottom. See image below.

Philipp_g

Thanks you very much Hannes.

It works!
I did the test with the new version 4.1 and it crashed quite often - can't touch the sliders for coverage etc. Will work for the moment with version 4.0.04. See if my 50 or so objects endure the snowing effect.   :)
Will post the result here soon.

Thanks again! Most apprechiated.

Philipp

Oshyan

Philipp, can you check your graphics card drivers and see if you have the latest? Also what card do you have?

- Oshyan

Philipp_g

Hi Oshyan

I have a Mac Pro ( Late 2013) macOs Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) / with 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Is the card driver not coming with the system update?
On this machine Terragen 4.04 does practically never crash while Terragen 4.11 often does.

With kind regards

Philipp

Ariel DK

For some reason, I've never been able to make this method work on leaves yet  :P
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Oshyan

Strange. I know for Nvidia cards the drivers are not always the latest with the OS for Mac, but usually that is the case. It can be a bit confusing. I don't know why 4.1 would be less stable but we'll look into it.

- Oshyan

Philipp_g

Hi Ariel
an excellent response by Ulco in a post  about putting snow on trees.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22346.15.html

Worked perfectly for me.

With best regards
Philipp

Philipp_g

Hi Oshyan

I really had also other issues with crashing with the version 4.11 so I put 4.0.04 back up again. Very stable.

Thank you for looking into it.

Philipp