Terragen Render freezing

Started by DonnyDon, August 10, 2017, 05:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnyDon

Hello.

Could anyone help me with a problem? I've been using terragen for years as a student for projects. I bought T.4 recently and I'm noticing something strange. when I try doing larger renders they 'freeze'. The timer will stop and no progress will be made after that.

I'm not sure why its happening. I've attached a scene its happening on, although it isn't the first scene to freeze with.

I'm running with an intel core I7 4770K, 16GB ddr3 ram and some SSDs. I can provide more info if anyone needs me too.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me

J_Con

First thing I would look at is Processor temperature during render time. Download "Core Temp" or something similar, run it and then start rendering. Monitor the temps during the render, if Processor temps get into high 70's low 80's that would be a problem.

Kadri

It rendered 3 hours or so without a problem. But would take too long to finish so i stopped it..

Dune

TG does 'freeze' for a while after the render is done and GISD and filter effects are being calculated. Sometimes longer than other times. Perhaps that's the issue?

DonnyDon

Quote from: Dune on August 11, 2017, 09:46:42 AM
TG does 'freeze' for a while after the render is done and GISD and filter effects are being calculated. Sometimes longer than other times. Perhaps that's the issue?
Nah. It'll be mid render and the timer will stop. No progress will be made after that.
Quote from: Kadri on August 11, 2017, 03:23:47 AM

Hi.
In which stage does it freeze?
Hey, It depends. Sometimes It'll freeze after 20 hours, sometimes six. I do notice that lower quality settings or a lower resolution which keeps render times down to a couple of hours prevents a freeze.

Quote from: J_Con on August 11, 2017, 08:21:27 AM
First thing I would look at is Processor temperature during render time. Download "Core Temp" or something similar, run it and then start rendering. Monitor the temps during the render, if Processor temps get into high 70's low 80's that would be a problem.
Ok, I'll do that :)

Oshyan

I agree, if it's happening mostly on longer, more intensive renders, then I would be inclined to suspect temperature or other system load issues. Let us know what you find out. Also, monitor the memory use, i.e. check task manager if/when it freezes and see if there is anything maxing out.

- Oshyan