Hmmmm....

Started by bobbystahr, August 13, 2017, 03:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

.....looks like it's time to get up to at least the 32 I originally asked for but was told I'd not need it....sigh...can't render sphericals over 1200x600 without tg4 disappearing...I hit render, go make a coffee as it starts and come back to my desktop(twice) and a 'not responding' crash 3 times today, Plus the message in the screen grab below
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

digitalguru

1200x600 pixels? that's nothing, how much ram do you have?

I would say something else is the culprit here.  How stable is the new release?

bobbystahr

Quote from: digitalguru on August 14, 2017, 04:27:54 AM
1200x600 pixels? that's nothing, how much ram do you have?

I would say something else is the culprit here.  How stable is the new release?

16 Gb
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

digitalguru

I've rendered larger sphericals on a 12gb machine (using Terragen 3) with fairly large populations with no problems.

Does your machine start to thrash its virtual memory? It might do that before showing that error message if Terragen had really decided to chew up a lot of memory. Don't know if it means anything but your windows error box shows 0% progress from tgd.exe - has it actually started rendering?

Looking up the  0x40000015 error gives:

"According to the experts, 0x40000015 error code may be triggered by an incomplete installation of a particular software/update, incorrect uninstall, accidental removal or replacement of registries, and similar issues. Besides, it has been noticed that 0x40000015 error pop-up sometimes shows up after PC's recovery when a virus/malware/corrupted files are deleted."

Re-install Terragen?

bobbystahr

Well when it threw up that error I was attempting an admittedly over large pop(for the PoV I had) and that only popped up the once.
It hasn't caused problems on a number of other .tgd's I checked  and populated fine when I realized my error in size, but something screwy is going on from time to time. This was my first crashing issue since that last update or indeed installing TG4  period.
Problem was likely a PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer....)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

digitalguru

I wouldn't worry then, get some more ram though, you can always use more ram  :)

Oshyan

Terragen 4 does use notably more memory when rendering objects (that includes populations) due to use of Embree. But it gives much faster renders in exchange. :D

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2017, 05:58:08 PM
Terragen 4 does use notably more memory when rendering objects (that includes populations) due to use of Embree. But it gives much faster renders in exchange. :D

- Oshyan

More RAM in the plan atm, but right now I'm into hour 2 of a fairly densely populated 3000x1500 Spherical and not a hiccup yet...this could run at least 5 hours....fingers crossed...a bit warm here again today, not complainin' but aware that it can affect confusers...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New