something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Doesn't always work perfectly  :(

masonspappy

I like the vertical strata image.  Wear and erosion is most pronounced at upper end which would have been exposed longer to the elements than the lower end.

René

Some very nice rock structures with a lot of potential.
Maybe you've already discovered it yourself, but the fractal warp shader can produce squarish shapes, provided you use very low settings for variation and roughness, 0.05 for example.

Dune

Thanks guys. I'm working on some more, which look good so far (no unrendered chunks so far). Thanks for the hint, René. I know the fractal warp can do nice things to terrains if the mid input is used with some fractal as well. I'll mix some FW in in the next WIP.

mhaze

Great looking rocks - interesting tip Rene,  I shall have to play!

Dune

And some more, still not what I want.

Hannes

Cool, Ulco! These rocks may not look completely realistic (although the last two are close!!), but somehow could be a perfect backdrop for a Pixar animation movie.

Dune

Thanks, Hannes. I tend to overdo details (while experimenting), so I'm now trying to subdue outcrops and blend them in more naturally.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on September 11, 2017, 05:04:36 AM
Cool, Ulco! These rocks may not look completely realistic (although the last two are close!!), but somehow could be a perfect backdrop for a Pixar animation movie.

I quite agree on the Pixar comment...very similar feel to what they get
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Started a new setup from scratch, a bit different. First WIP. Now try to make it natural.... I want to break up the vertical lines so they 'jump'.

bobbystahr

Now that's really interesting...following this
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Yep, this looks promising!!!