Noisy sky caused by Cloud Layer v2

Started by treddie, August 14, 2017, 08:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treddie

Hi again.

I am having no luck trying to solve this problem except that when I turn off my v2 cloud layer, the sky noise goes away.  Can anyone chime in on this?

[attachimg=1]

Oshyan

Can you attach your .tgd file? Or send it to support AT planetside.co.uk? Pretty hard to say exactly what's going on from just the small image.

- Oshyan

treddie

Hi Oshyan.

Here is a bare bones file with just the clouds and a default terrain.

treddie

Seems like there is a sweet spot for cloud Quality > Quality, which significantly reduces the noise, but then also increases the lightness of the sky.  So I then dropped Blue Sky Density down which got the sky color back.  Still, there is a graininess to the sky that seems impossible to remove, without lowering the cloud quality further, and causing enhanced sky noise again.

Kadri

Is this an old project file?
There were some strange numbers in some nodes.
So i copied just the cloud node(with the density and colour shader node) to a new project and it rendered correctly.

Kadri

Do you need "Enviro light 10"? Try it with 1 and use higher Anti-aliasing like 5 or higher.

treddie

QuoteIs this an old project file?
There were some strange numbers in some nodes.

New file, but an old cloud node originally from Luc, that I modified for another project about a year ago.  I guess the other settings not related to the cloud node were the issue?

QuoteDo you need "Enviro light 10"? Try it with 1 and use higher Anti-aliasing like 5 or higher.
Did as you suggested and that really helped nix the final remnants of noise I had in the image.

Thanks to all of you for your help!  I will post the final scene once I get the terrain dialed in.

Oshyan

Yes, using extremely high values is possible, but can cause issues in some cases, like this one it seems. You do have several values in the atmosphere node that are odd and challenging to render. However if you increase antialiasing and atmosphere samples you can get it to render more cleanly. The noise is coming from the atmo, not clouds.

- Oshyan