TG 4.1.11 file open failing

Started by FlynnAD, August 14, 2017, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlynnAD

I just upgraded TG 4.0.0.4 (I think) to 4.1.11. The program opens fine and everything looks good.

When a specific file from v4.0 is opened, the camera preview screen does not ever completely load (it does not show anything at all), and the application is basically hanging with a spinning cursor wheel. Up top, next to the Pause/ Reset/ RTP and subsequent icons, is the text "Aborting threads..."

The only thing that I can think of is that there are two large DEM heightfields that are loaded that are conflicting with version 4.1.11.

I've opened other v4.0.0.4 files without these DEM heightfields and they're fine. I've opened up other earlier saved versions of the offending file, still with the two DEM heightfields, and those earlier version files also hang.

The only other thing I can think of is a potential graphics card issue, as I upgraded the graphics card driver at the same time as installing the TG4.1.11 update, and without ever trying to open the file in question between the two upgrades. I'm using an nVidia Geforce GTX 1070 with the latest driver 384.94.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Matt

Oshyan

Hi Matt,

Can you try a couple things. 1: open a new, blank TG4 scene and load the same DEMs that are giving you trouble. Does the same issue occur? 2: start TG and then close the 3D preview window (x on the window upper-right) and then load your project again and see if it still occurs.

There were no DEM loading changes in 4.1 as far as I'm aware but there were changes to the previews (none of which I would think would cause such issues, but you never know). How large are the DEMs? What else is in the scene you are loading and what are the detail and quality/sample settings for any cloud layers, atmosphere, etc?

- Oshyan

FlynnAD

Hi Oshyan,

Troubleshooting results:

First off, for #2, the only way to get the file to open was to close the preview window while the DEMs were loading, or cancel the DEMs loading themselves. After that, playing with the file and opening the preview window went fine and yielded no errors, until that file was saved and re-opened. Then, again, it did not open.

So, trying #1, I put each of the heightfield and heightfield loaders into TG clips and loaded them individually into a fresh file. The end result is that they can both be inserted into the file, they can both be turned on, they can each themself be plugged into the Compute Terrain node, but when one heightfield is plugged into the second heightfield (in either order), and then into the Compute Terrain, while the result will properly show and work in the preview window, upon saving, closing, and re-opening the file, it will crash.

So somehow, having both heightfields plugged into each other is causing the issue in TG4.1.11. Occasionally, TG will simply give the preview window message "Aborting threads" and hang. At other failed attempts, TG gave the error message "An unknown error occurred in trBucketRender::RenderMore() rasterized pass      floatn3" without completing the preview window (it remained gray).

Does that help figure out what it is?

Thanks,
Matt

ADDITIONALLY: The two DEMs are 450 MB each, but this made no impact on TG4.0.0.4, and I had been using the same file in TG3.

Oshyan

Thanks much for those details! And apologies for the delayed reply. Could you send us a TGD and, if possible, either 7-zip archive the DEMs, or point us to where they might be downloaded to duplicate this issue? support AT planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan

FlynnAD

Hi Oshyan,

Has Planetside had an opportunity to look into this bug/ hiccup? I sent support@ an email with the DEM file download links on August 24.

Thanks,
Matt

Oshyan

Not yet, but I see we received the files. Thank you, we'll take a look as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

- Oshyan

sboerner

QuoteWhen a specific file from v4.0 is opened, the camera preview screen does not ever completely load (it does not show anything at all), and the application is basically hanging with a spinning cursor wheel. Up top, next to the Pause/ Reset/ RTP and subsequent icons, is the text "Aborting threads..."

I came across this thread while troubleshooting this error. This has been happening with one of my files, too.

QuoteSo somehow, having both heightfields plugged into each other is causing the issue in TG4.1.11. Occasionally, TG will simply give the preview window message "Aborting threads" and hang. At other failed attempts, TG gave the error message "An unknown error occurred in trBucketRender::RenderMore() rasterized pass      floatn3" without completing the preview window (it remained gray).

Exactly. My file also contains two heightfield nodes. Each holds a 50MB .ter file. The file hangs roughly 9 out of 10 load attempts. When it does load the file, TG throws the "trBucketRender" error message, but I can work with it.

The two Heightfield shaders were connected in series, output to input, with the second connected to the Compute Terrain node. The problem disappeared when I connected both loaders to a Heightfield Merge, then to one Heightfield shader. File loads fine now.

The merge node is probably better in this case, but shouldn't either approach work?

The strange thing is, the first arrangement worked fine for a couple days. The file started hanging after I starting building out the shading network.

Running Terragen 4.1.14 on a Mac Pro, OS 10.11.6, 16GB with an ATI Radeon HD graphics card.

FlynnAD

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response and your solution. I tried the heighfield merge node per your suggestion, but for some reason, I cannot get it to work.

My file does open with both heighfield loaders plugged into the heightfield merge; that's good. But the 3d preview does not show both heightfields displacing the planet surface. Only the primary heightfield - the one plugged into the merge node's Input slot - shows up. The heightfield plugged into slot A does not show up on the 3d preview, nor on renderings. I tried changing the Mix/ Add/ Subtract... of the merge node to no avail. Then I double-checked that both heightfields were working by plugging one into the other, then into the Compute Terrain (the same old way that was causing the file open failures before). Yep, that made both heightfields show up on the 3d preview. Just don't save the file at this point...

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Matt

sboerner

Hi Matt,

First, thanks for your detailed descriptions of the problem. That helped me find your post and confirm that I've run into the same thing. I don't have a lot of experience with heightfield shaders, so I made two very simple files to see if I could duplicate the problem.

QuoteOnly the primary heightfield - the one plugged into the merge node's Input slot - shows up. The heightfield plugged into slot A does not show up on the 3d preview, nor on renderings. I tried changing the Mix/ Add/ Subtract... of the merge node to no avail.

Can't explain this. The Mix slider must be greater than 0 for the node to have any effect, but it sounds like you've looked at that. To match the results you would get by connecting the shaders in series, set the mode to Add and Mix to 1.0. Take a look at the attached heightfieldMerge.tgd file and see if it works for you.

[attach=1]

The results of the two node networks are the same. However, the Merge file opens fine while the other one, heightfieldSeries.tgd, hangs Terragen, throws the tBucketRender error, or crashes it outright on file load.

Files attached.

[attachurl=2]
[attachurl=3]

Oshyan

Are you guys both on Macs?

- Oshyan

jaf

I'm on a Windows system and the heightfieldSeries.tgd provided above seems to cause random problems.  The first time I tried it with a file!open, the preview window did not initialize and when I clicked on it I got an "aborting threads" message where the "Finished rendering" message normally appears. Clicking anywhere then results in the "not responding crash.

So I restarted Terragen and used the open recent and selected heightfieldSeries.tgd, and it loaded and initialized fine!  I closed Terragen and then restarted and tried the open file and got an error message "An unknown error occurred in  trBuckedRender. RenderMore() rasterised pass" showed up, but the file would render and didn't notice any other problems.  So I did a file|save, closed Terragen and the restarted and used the open recent and it did not error????  But if I do a file|open I get the trBucket error.

Really weird !

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

sboerner

Hi Oshyan – I'm on a Mac (system info posted above) and am experiencing exactly the same symptoms reported by Matt. Sometimes the file opens and displays the trBucketRender error message. On a couple of occasions it has crashed Terragen before loading. But usually it just hangs before displaying the 3d view with the "Aborting threads" message. It's really random.

I've saved a hang report and can send it if that would be helpful.

Steve

sboerner

Just fyi I tested the file on a second system – Macbook Pro – in case there was a bad memory chip or background process that was interfering on my main workstation. Unfortunately the results are about the same.

FlynnAD

Hi Oshyan,

I'm on a PC, running TG 4.1.11, Win 10 Pro version 1607, with an Intel i7 x990 (3.47GHz) processor, 24 GB memory, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card.

Matt

Oshyan

Strange, I still can't reproduce this with the file provided. A couple of questions.

1: have any of you tried upgrading to 4.1.18? Should now be available to all Windows users (Mac version coming very soon). I'm on .18 and it's not happening as far as I've seen. I don't know of any specific fixes that I would expect to address this, but it's possible.

2: In the heightfieldMerge.tgd test file, does the weirdness still occur if you disable the auto-generate for the heightfields or if you generate them, save them to .ter, and replace the generators with Heightfield Load nodes?

We'll keep trying to track this one through. Your help is appreciated!

- Oshyan