Inside-out

Started by N-drju, August 16, 2017, 02:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Amazing what you can find on wikipedia... Now I am fascinated with the idea of a concave hollow Earth.

I was wondering... is there any means in TG to turn the whole planet inside-out, just like this outlandish theory posits? Or create this type of terrain somehow? In other words, to build a scene on the inside rather than the outside?

No, putting camera underneath the surface is not the "simple" solution - if the camera is "fossilized" you get pitch-black shadows.

So anyway, is there any chance to render this in TG? ;) See the graceful picture attached to this message to get the visual idea of what I'm talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth#/media/File:Concave_hollow_Earths.svg
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I attempted caves by using a sphere with negative radius. Works. Lighting is the problem, because the sphere creates its own shadow, so you need other means.

N-drju

Um, yeah... Obviously you need to put sun in there somehow. :-\

Maybe this is a wacky idea but... If you move the entire world to where the sun origin is located in the program...?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Just use a new lightsource (which the sun also is of course), inside the sphere/planet. But it's a bit awkward all.