sleepy renders?

Started by Polyglyphs, August 17, 2017, 09:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I see. Unfortunately we haven't replicated this issue on our own systems, and without being able to do that it will be very difficult to diagnose. But if others are experiencing it too, then hopefully we can find a way to replicate it. If you ever discover any specific settings or steps that make it happen more frequently (or, ideally, every time), let us know, that would help a lot!

- Oshyan

Asterlil

I can use this thread to amass data without requiring a reply from you every time until there's a Eureka moment. Right now I've started using Terragen with my extra fan running all the time, in case it is a matter of overheating.

Oshyan

Sounds good. We'll keep an eye on the discussion in the meantime.

- Oshyan

Asterlil

Here's a thing: the render panel info bar at the top freezes (the timer stops) and the view ceases to update, but the render is continuing to process, because when you click pause another chunk of the scene suddenly appears. And after you pause and resume a couple of times, suddenly the timer reappears and it's accurate from the actual start of the render!

WAS

Is paging activated? Is virtual memory activated set to work off your RAM size (automatic allocating)? Now if that's true, is your HDDs set to sleep or power saving? I'm not positive but TG may respect windows governing, and thus not have access to write to and from memory (virtual memory is a stepping stone for RAM when activated) and just hang on to what it has retrying. HID interaction will reset power saving rules.

Because this is solved by a HID issue, this is a result of something governing system performance somewhere, such as HDD hibernation, PC power settings, etc, etc. I believe some antivirus programs also can control these features. I believe I remember this from using Eset Node32.

If you fear a heat issue it's best to use a custom fan arc and try to target a low number to go 100% to try and manage the CPU at a lower overall temp range. Contrary to popular belief this won't "wear" your fans more than any other use, as lifetime warranties and specifications are based on full RPM.