TG 4.1.11 - short frequent hangs with TG... CPU threading problems?

Started by pokoy, August 18, 2017, 06:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokoy

Sorry for coming back to this but I'm still having the problem.

I just opened an old scene from 2014 (a TG 2.x file probably) and when trying to save the file or a clip file with a few nodes TG will hang for a really long time. The problem is much worse than with files created in TG4, these will hang for 15-20 seconds maybe but this file takes 5+ minutes. FWIW, CPU usage is at 0% and goes up to 0,1% every now and then.
It's really becoming a problem for me since I need to access some older files.

Am I really the only one seeing this?

Matt

Would you be willing to do a remote desktop session with us? If so, contact me privately and we'll set something up.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

pokoy

Quote from: Matt on January 30, 2018, 03:13:54 PM
Would you be willing to do a remote desktop session with us? If so, contact me privately and we'll set something up.

Matt
Absolutely, I'd be glad to help if it means you can track down the issue. Will PM you tomorrow. Thanks!

jaf

My system has settled out -- not sure if I'm just more cautious with the preview window (pause it more often and avoid too many population previews -- setting them to hidden when not working on them.)  I don't see it as a problem at this time.  :)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jaf

Quote from: pokoy on January 30, 2018, 02:46:15 PM
Sorry for coming back to this but I'm still having the problem.

I just opened an old scene from 2014 (a TG 2.x file probably) and when trying to save the file or a clip file with a few nodes TG will hang for a really long time. The problem is much worse than with files created in TG4, these will hang for 15-20 seconds maybe but this file takes 5+ minutes. FWIW, CPU usage is at 0% and goes up to 0,1% every now and then.
It's really becoming a problem for me since I need to access some older files.

Am I really the only one seeing this?

I'll have to dig out my old file and see.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

ajcgi

I'm getting hanging problems occasionally and think it's due to this thing I'd love to turn off. This is a preview of my displacement. It looks nothing like the real thing renders, but with the 3D preview paused, say at detail 20, this thing continues to run until it's ready. On a heavy scene this is just slowing things down. Can we turn it off? I don't think I ever use it as I don't find it reliable.

Edited with attachment.

Latest release on Windows Fisher Price Special Edition. I mean 10. 10. It's windows 10.

Oshyan

Unfortunately that window cannot be paused or closed currently. It would be nice if it were closeable like the one on the Objects layout... I'll file a feature request.

- Oshyan

ajcgi

Thanks Oshyan.
I'd consider that a high priority imo. On one of my scenes that preview reaches the highest quality then will start again a while later with the slightest provocation. This is a quick machine with a bonkers 40 threads, but even this is hanging. It's highly frustrating considering that's a window that seems inaccurate and unused to me. Others might use it of course, but the option to kill it entirely would be brilliant.

pokoy

For anyone affected/interested.

Finally, I could test if the lag is present on a single CPU machine and it turns out its NOT, loading and saving files and clip files is instant - no lag whatsoever.
Then, I could test another dual CPU machine and it ALSO shows the lag in exact the same way like with my main workstation.

One of the affected PCs runs Win10, the other Win7, since the issue is present on both machines we can probably eliminate Win10 as a possible culprit.

I'd say this pretty clearly points towards CPU threading problems with dual CPUs.

Oshyan

It's not as simple as that, unfortunately. I have a dual CPU machine and don't have these issues. I think Matt does too, actually. I really wish we knew what was going on here, but it's very hard to track down when we can't replicate it. I'm actually not aware of anyone else having the exact same issue you're having, are you?

- Oshyan

Matt

AJ, that screenshot shows there's something wacky with one of the shaders in that scene. Even if the final render looks fine, something like that could really affect render speed. I'd love to see a .tgd that shows that spikey shader preview. I know it's a separate issue from what this thread is about, but I'd really like to know what's causing that weird preview.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

pokoy

Quote from: Oshyan on February 09, 2018, 10:57:49 PM
It's not as simple as that, unfortunately. I have a dual CPU machine and don't have these issues. I think Matt does too, actually. I really wish we knew what was going on here, but it's very hard to track down when we can't replicate it. I'm actually not aware of anyone else having the exact same issue you're having, are you?

- Oshyan
Sorry Oshyan, I totally forgot you mentioned that before - you're right, it's probably not that simple. I'll be doing a remote desktop session with Matt soon, let's hope it'll help solving the mystery.
Thanks for your assistance!