TG 4.1.11 - short frequent hangs with TG... CPU threading problems?

Started by pokoy, August 18, 2017, 06:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Yeah i wish but can't download it from the PS site anymore.  Always tells me invalid email... Guess i stick with the 4.0 version.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

jaf

pokoy, do you get "lags" on scenes without objects (trees, plants, 3d models, etc.)?  Are you using RTP when you see the "lags"?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

pokoy

Quote from: jaf on August 23, 2017, 05:53:05 PM
pokoy, do you get "lags" on scenes without objects (trees, plants, 3d models, etc.)?  Are you using RTP when you see the "lags"?
No objects, no RTP - I open TG with the default scene and just saving takes almost a minute while TG freezes showing a blank screen - regardless of local/network location, I have no issues with HD or my NAS whatsoever, my machine runs smoothly otherwise. I was working a bit longer with a scene yesterday and the freezes have been manageable, but sometimes TG decides to take a little longer for some actions. There's no pattern that I can put my finger on, unfortunately.
One thing I should note, every machine I tested so far has 2 CPUs, this might be important to know. I have a single CPU machine here but not sure when I'm going to be able to test that.

Oshyan

I am using a 2 CPU machine here quite often and still do not see these issues. Did I understand right that you are working with a NAS? Is it your *primary* storage for Terragen files and data?

archonforest, are you using free version or do you have a license? You should not need an email to download if you have a license. Or maybe you are trying to login but have not *created a new account on our new website yet*? See the "Returning Customers" page (linked in footer) if so.

- Oshyan

pokoy

Quote from: Oshyan on August 24, 2017, 05:15:18 PM
I am using a 2 CPU machine here quite often and still do not see these issues. Did I understand right that you are working with a NAS? Is it your *primary* storage for Terragen files and data?...
I'm using a NAS, but saving to desktop or any other local path will hang a bit... however, there will be some entries in the 'latest files' menu pointing to the NAS.

Oshyan

Interesting. I believe we've had some sporadic reports of issues accessing network drives in the past. I save to a network drive on a local machine here and have no issues though... I really wish we could reproduce these things, but unti/unless we can, we aren't really able to diagnose or fix them.

- Oshyan

pokoy

So I have some further observations to share, maybe it helps.

It seems that the aborting stage of current preview renderings, be it OpenGL or RTP is causing problems - not always, though. Sometimes TG will hang a bit during this stage and since it seems to abort any current calculations when you save it might be what's causing the lags, not the saving or accessing files or network.

Then, TG hangs for me when I try to open from library. I have to test this one a bit more but so far it just hangs for minutes until I kill the tgd.exe process.

pokoy

Did you investigate the issue? Just installed 4.1.18 and it just took 1 minute to open a scene of 40kb, saving takes up to 1 minute too. Still, no pattern, it happens sometimes, other times it doesn't lag at all.

luvsmuzik

Are you viewing objects in bounding boxes, or textured? My unit does not like textured view very well. I often have to disable a population or object if I want to use view as textured. HP 4GIG Win10 latest TG update. I can no longer even open my Louis Fountain file due to last close was in textured view.  >:(

pokoy

Quote from: luvsmuzik on December 11, 2017, 10:48:51 AM
Are you viewing objects in bounding boxes, or textured? My unit does not like textured view very well. I often have to disable a population or object if I want to use view as textured. HP 4GIG Win10 latest TG update. I can no longer even open my Louis Fountain file due to last close was in textured view.  >:(
In my case, it's more or less the default terrain with a cloud layer, nothing else. I'm seeing this on Win7 and Win10. The only thing these machines have in common is that they're all Dual Xeons, that's why I think it's a threading problem.
Your issue could be something entirely different but sounds really frustrating.

KlausK

I only notice a lag with the 3D Preview window. But opening or saving does not show the symptoms you describe.
If you look at my specs below seems similar to the machines you are working on.
Dual Xeon mainboards mostly have a onboard video graphics chip. Ever took out your Graphic Card perhaps?
Or did you ever try to disconnect and disable anything what has to do with network and NAS completely? Simple offline machine?
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

pokoy

Quote from: KlausK on December 11, 2017, 01:52:11 PM
I only notice a lag with the 3D Preview window. But opening or saving does not show the symptoms you describe.
If you look at my specs below seems similar to the machines you are working on.
Dual Xeon mainboards mostly have a onboard video graphics chip. Ever took out your Graphic Card perhaps?
Or did you ever try to disconnect and disable anything what has to do with network and NAS completely? Simple offline machine?
Cheers, Klaus
The thing is this started with either 4.1 or one of the later updates where changes were introduced to CPU threading in general to make RTP more responsive.
Sure, it could be something outside of TG, things like .NET, or drivers, Win updates... then again, I'm not sure which of these would affect both Win7 and Win10 in exactly the same way. But it's not a single machine, and it's happening reproducibly since said update. I should take some time to test this on the single CPU machine, though.

Oshyan

We are still not able to replicate this issue on our end, unfortunately. Any additional testing or narrowing down of symptoms you can do would be very helpful as we definitely want to solve this if it's something in TG.

- Oshyan

pokoy

Thanks, Oshyan. I'll test this on the single CPU machine when time allows and will report back.

One factor could be the OS language and decimal point settings, but that's something Matt would have to look into. We're on a german OS setup, so decimal point is set to comma. TG still shows a dot, but I don't know if and how this could affect TG in such a way. Everything else works fine and I'm still super happy with TG4, it's only that the lags are annoying sometimes.

Oshyan

I don't know why the language setting and different decimal setup would affect UI performance. We have lots of users on non-English OSs, too, and no other major reports of this.

- Oshyan