Second Computer

Started by kmwhitt, August 23, 2017, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmwhitt

Hello Everyone.  I am new to this forum and considering the purchase of Terragen Pro to create my own HDRi environments for use with Arch Viz.  I am amazed at what this software can do and very impressed with the images I've seen.  Were I to purchase a single pro license, does this allow me to use it on a second computer (i.e. - laptop or home workstation)?  Thanks, Kevin

bigben

From the license RTF that is installed with the software
QuoteUSAGE OF LICENSED COPY. Each Licensed Copy may only be running on one "Machine" and operated by no more than one person at any one time, regardless of platform. "Machine" is defined as a single physical computer, PC, Mac or workstation, containing one or more processors. The definition of Machine does not extend to multiple individual computers (Machines) combined using network infrastructure into a cluster, grid or farm. In the specific example of a render farm or cluster, the number of Licensed Copies must equal or exceed the number of Machines that the Software is running on. Final interpretation of the definition of "Machine" is to be made solely by Vendor.

kmwhitt

bigben - thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, this leaves too much to interpretation.

I found this post from 2009:  http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6855.0 and this statement from a Planetside staff member (Matt) - "Almost correct, but not quite. "1 user license" means that only 1 person can be using Terragen at any one time. If you need to work on a different computer, you can, because you are still only one user using the software at any one time. It doesn't matter what computer you work on.

Each Licensed Copy may only be running on one "Machine" and operated by no more than one person at any one time, regardless of platform.

Also, whenever you are not using the software, someone else can. If you have bought one user license, then a friend, family member or colleague can use Terragen on your computer whenever you are not. As long as only one person uses Terragen at any one time."

As this post is 8 years old, it would be helpful to hear from someone with Planetside.  In fact, I'm surprised I haven't by now.  If I am not allowed to take a project home with me over the weekend to resume work, I don't think this software is for me.

Thanks again for the reply.

Upon Infinity

Yes, the above interpretation is correct. Basically, it's stating that only 1 user can use the software at any given time, no matter where the software is installed.  And I believe it can be installed on up to 5 computers at once.  Oshyan should be along at some point to confirm and clarify.

kmwhitt

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I will be able to use it on a second computer.  Any advice on learning the software?  Tutorials?  Thanks again, Kevin

bobbystahr

Quote from: kmwhitt on August 24, 2017, 12:01:07 PM
Thanks for the info.  Looks like I will be able to use it on a second computer.  Any advice on learning the software?  Tutorials?  Thanks again, Kevin

Open TG>Start Tweaking> Continue> Woo Hoo....heh heh heh...just my method from the start...oh yeah, confused about something Ask...there are no dumb/stupid questions...

Also Search function can be your best and fastest reply as many things are already answered here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kmwhitt

Thanks Bobby.  I'll give it a shot!

bobbystahr

Quote from: kmwhitt on August 24, 2017, 12:41:59 PM
Thanks Bobby.  I'll give it a shot!

there is a getting started tute in File Sharing that many found very helpful...a first leg up. I'd check that out.
here in fack, there's a .pdf in the very first post
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,7733.135.html
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kmwhitt

I appreciate the link.  I'll start on this over the weekend.  The interface sure is intimidating!!!

Oshyan

Correct, our licenses are "floating", you can use it on any of your computers, but only one user at a time. You get up to 5 render nodes, depending on which version you purchase.

- Oshyan

kmwhitt