Cumulonimbus doodle

Started by Tangled-Universe, August 24, 2017, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Have been doodling a bit with a setup I used before, but now adjusted it to have the cloud be taller and it's also much simpler now for me to iterate between tower-shapes.
5000m depth, edge sharpness 2.1 and density 0.7.
Rendered at AA4(max), 150M voxels (Yes Matt, I know..., but it brings out the fine scatter details in the small billows) and GI cloud quality @ high.
Took about 9 hours on my 2600K.

[attachimg=1]

Dune

pokoy

This is beautiful, I'm speechless! That's exactly the same thing I was playing around with yesterday and gave up... but now I see it IS possible.
Thanks for posting this!

I'd be super interested in a bit more info on the cloud setup and the nodes forming that kind of noise.

fleetwood

Oshyan

It is a very beautiful cloud indeed. :)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

zaxxon

Monumentally beautiful! The lighting is equally impressive. I'm curious about the 150M voxel count; is this a 'high' value in your experience, and what is Matt's regard that you are alluding to? Curious as I'm currently using voxel counts in the 350-500M range. Always a great pleasure to see a new image from you!

mhaze

Oshyan

150m is in my opinion a reasonable voxel count for a fairly detailed cloud. Occasionally it is useful to go up to as much as 500m, but usually less should suffice. Although in some recent tests I am not finding it to have a particularly huge effect on render time, more modest than I might imagine...

- Oshyan

eapilot

Is this made out of several clouds layered on top of each other?  And what parameters determine the voxel count?

Tangled-Universe

This is 1 layer.
Voxel count can be set by the user, it's an arbitrary value.

René

Thats pretty awesome. And you call it a doodle. :)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: René on September 08, 2017, 03:45:44 AM
Thats pretty awesome. And you call it a doodle. :)

I don't mean to be offensive when I call my stuff a doodle, although I'm sure that's not what you meant to say.

It's a doodle because with this setup I can do better things than this "doodle" I think, but my machine is kind of limiting me in my possibilities.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 08, 2017, 11:25:51 AM
Quote from: René on September 08, 2017, 03:45:44 AM

but my machine is kind of limiting me in my possibilities.

A curse many of us suffer man....but you suffer well...heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist