La Brèche

Started by Ulcerguts, October 23, 2017, 07:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulcerguts

My first attempt to create complex displacement/"realistic" (for me at least) rock structure.
Not everything perfect (don't like some fake stones and I'm overally not that great at texturing, can't match the image map exactly with the strata, for exemple) and perhaps I will rework the luminosity in the future. 

Clouds is a tgc, I just know I have download here, thanks for who had made it.

C/C welcome ofc.

Oshyan

Not bad at all. Reminds me of some volcanic formations I saw recently in a crater I was exploring east of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Of course the strata here implies sedimentation rather than volcanic origin, but it's still reminiscent. :D

- Oshyan

Ulcerguts

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I take inspiration from the site of Gavarnie (Pyrénée moutain in France), its the remnant of an ancient ocean, so it's primary sedimentation.

bobbystahr

Nice start, and it is a pity you couldn't match the colour to the strata but someone here will have a solution I feel certain.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yes, for first post, it's pretty good. What image map are you using? I don't see it really. I think this should be done procedurally, but you got that down pretty good already.
The stones are indeed too flat, and not rough enough. Maybe changing the size will help or the power fractal settings that displace them. Sometimes a 'tex from XYZ' shader into the input of the fake stone shader also helps to get better stone displacement.

Ulcerguts

Thanks Dune. I'm currently in holidays so no access to my home computer. But it's from a strata generator, Stratagen. Which was more popular in the first version of Terragen. Oldschool software ahah. (I'm not that new in Terragen, it's just the first time I take the time to play really with these features).

Thanks for your advice, I will apply them when I return.

mhaze

The steep rock formations are great but the sloped areas very flat - more texture? more rocks, scree?