Some clouds

Started by luvsmuzik, August 28, 2017, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

masked the depth modulator with another PF  :)

luvsmuzik

5 cloud layers
Micro detail 0.8 AA6
Rendertime about 2 hours

Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 07, 2018, 11:39:41 AM
5 cloud layers
Micro detail 0.8 AA6
Rendertime about 2 hours

Are you using v3 or v2 clouds? I notice when v3 clouds start getting too hazy and mixing, render time spikes, in once instance almost 100 fold. Light calculation that took a minute took over an hour.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on April 07, 2018, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 07, 2018, 11:39:41 AM
5 cloud layers
Micro detail 0.8 AA6
Rendertime about 2 hours

Are you using v3 or v2 clouds? I notice when v3 clouds start getting too hazy and mixing, render time spikes, in once instance almost 100 fold. Light calculation that took a minute took over an hour.

Clouds are v3. I do not get it either (varying settings and render times) These all have low density and no voxel setting changes

I have another image that without clouds, 10 objects and 5 populations and renders in 25 minutes without clouds. When I added ONE cloud layer back in, 11 hour render!!! but micro poly detail 0.8 and AA6 on both.

Matt

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 08, 2018, 05:58:06 PM

I have another image that without clouds, 10 objects and 5 populations and renders in 25 minutes without clouds. When I added ONE cloud layer back in, 11 hour render!!! but micro poly detail 0.8 and AA6 on both.

I don't really know why this is happening, but I'd like to understand it better. The next time this happens, try reducing the number of voxels to only 1 million, and see if this helps.

If you have a project you can send to us, please do. We might be able to figure out where the problem is (either in the scene setup or in Terragen itself).

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2018, 06:52:32 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 08, 2018, 05:58:06 PM

I don't really know why this is happening, but I'd like to understand it better. The next time this happens, try reducing the number of voxels to only 1 million, and see if this helps.

If you have a project you can send to us, please do. We might be able to figure out where the problem is (either in the scene setup or in Terragen itself).

Matt

Thanks Matt! I will check the voxels, sometimes I do set them at 95.... :)

Matt

:o  That might do it. I'll disregard what you said earlier "These all have low density and no voxel setting changes" ;)

It's less likely to be an an issue if you have tons of RAM, but I'll know more if I can test an actual project.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2018, 07:14:19 PM
:o  That might do it. I'll disregard what you said earlier "These all have low density and no voxel setting changes" ;)

It's less likely to be an an issue if you have tons of RAM, but I'll know more if I can test an actual project.

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. The clouds with lights are all rendering great!Really fast.
This image (last of the series) was the high voxel count I have lowered it to re render. It took six hours just to get to the tree tops....
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22499.0.html

Matt

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry about that!

Matt

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 09, 2018, 07:38:09 PM
This image (last of the series) was the high voxel count I have lowered it to re render. It took six hours just to get to the tree tops....
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22499.0.html

Which image in this thread? Which Reply # ?

luvsmuzik

Sorry, I didn't see this last reply. It is on page 3 of that link.
I am trying to direct you here with picture link...mushroom tree
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=22499.0;attach=80624