Wadi Rum

Started by René, September 01, 2017, 06:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

w.i.p.
At first I thought it all looked good, but when I rendered a higher resolution, I was disappointed. 
The distribution of the stones is bad and the rocks are too uniform. The clouds need more work too.

René

Oops, I posted in the wrong place! How can I delete it?

Kadri

Still looks good René.
The difference between resolution is annoying sometimes.
Oshyan will move the thread to the right section later probably.

Dune

Echo Kadri. One or two places may need some work indeed (there's also some small spikes on the left side, but that's nitpicking), perhaps some warp to break the vertical very straight areas. I like the sand structure, btw. Anyway, great work, René.

Tangled-Universe

I feel with you Rene, sometimes it's difficult to predict what happens at higher resolutions.
If you see discrepancies with cloud v3 between the preview and the render then usually setting ray march quality to 0.5 gives much more accurate previews.

You have already pointed out what you'd like to improve, so I'm curious where you're taking this.
I'd like to add to it that I usually prefer some "breathing space" in compositions, so in this case a slightly wider camera angle so that the top of the cliff isn't cut off.

Looking forward to see your next iteration!

Cheers,
Martin

René

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 03, 2017, 04:49:00 PM
I feel with you Rene, sometimes it's difficult to predict what happens at higher resolutions.
If you see discrepancies with cloud v3 between the preview and the render then usually setting ray march quality to 0.5 gives much more accurate previews.

You have already pointed out what you'd like to improve, so I'm curious where you're taking this.
I'd like to add to it that I usually prefer some "breathing space" in compositions, so in this case a slightly wider camera angle so that the top of the cliff isn't cut off.

Looking forward to see your next iteration!

Cheers,
Martin

That's good cloud/preview tip Martin, thanks. You're right, it's unnecessary to cut of the top.
Now that I look at it after a few days, it strikes me that the structure at the bottom of the cliff looks like water caustics. Aaaarch!

René

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2017, 11:30:50 AM
Echo Kadri. One or two places may need some work indeed (there's also some small spikes on the left side, but that's nitpicking), perhaps some warp to break the vertical very straight areas. I like the sand structure, btw. Anyway, great work, René.

I hadn't noticed the spikes. You have a sharp eye for detail Dune! :)