Moses

Started by Hannes, September 01, 2017, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks!! Here is a higher resolution image. Detail/AA 0.8/9. The render took half an hour. Not too bad. But 600 frames may take a while. I'll probably try 1280 by 720 px, when everything is set.

Kadri

Looks good.
Just a thought Hannes, you could use an animated smoothing node too maybe.

Hannes

Could you explain this a little more?

Kadri

It is subjective probably but the sides of the water look more like rock walls.
We are prejudiced of course maybe people who are not into 3D-Terragen might see it different.
With a smooth node on the walls it could work more like water maybe.
Depending on the look you want you could smooth it more in the beginning or end for example.

Dune

Yes, that was my initial thought; smoothing works on strata. I used it to try some waterfalls.

Hannes

Ah, I see. Going to do some tests.
Actually it's quite weird to display a phenomenon, that doesn't really occur in nature (at least in the last few thousand years!! ;))
How does it look, when someone parts the sea? Is there a smooth water wall? Is the water wall irregular, keeping it's position by some mysterious force?
Anyway, it's fun...

Dune

That's the fun part indeed, you can do whatever you want, it's unrealistic anyway  ;)

Hannes

In the meantime I created some very shallow water on the ground that slowly gets dragged with the water walls. Looks quite nice when animated.

Hannes

I masked the strata a bit more. It's a bit wavy and the warper is animated as well.
I think I won't smooth out the surface more, because a few days ago I accidentally had done exactly that, and it looked boring. Actually I like the notion that the water is parted by some force, but in a way that there is still some irregular motion inside.

dorianvan

Just saw this. Very cool. As the water is pushing aside you might add a swell or swells of water going each direction away from the part.
-Dorian

Hannes

Yes, I thought about that, but creating these things in TG is quite tricky.
I'm rendering another version atm.

Dune

If you use a warped SSS, you can use a wider SSS for the waves, subtract from eachother. Curious to see what you make of it, Hannes.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on September 12, 2017, 03:59:49 AM
If you use a warped SSS, you can use a wider SSS for the waves, subtract from eachother. Curious to see what you make of it, Hannes.

Yes, that's basically, what I've done to create the shallow water and its foam on the ground.

Since this whole parting-water-thing is absolutely unnatural, nobody knows how this would really look like. When I did the foam on the ground, I found that accidentally the water drags the foam behind the water, and not the other way round, which was initially intended. But I thought, it looks "more natural" this way, because with the foam behind the water's edge, like we're used to see, the whole thing would just look like a simple backwards animation.

And that's why I really don't know, if a swell would look good...  Maybe I'll give it a try.

Dune

If the water is pushed out from the center by a 'Mysterious Power', it is most likely that a swell occurs at the outer ends, maybe even surf over the stagnant water if it's pushed up/out fast enough....

Hannes

Indeed. Stopped rendering the previous animation (again ;)) and doing some tests right now. This seems to be a never ending story! ;D ;D ;D