Displaced spheres

Started by René, September 08, 2017, 03:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Displaced spheres. w.i.p.

Dune

Great stones, René. I've been experimenting with those as well (cubes), and if you get the right textures, who needs photogrammed assets?

René

Exactly! If we only could 'bake' the displacements so we could move, rotate and scale the stones without the need to adjust the shaders. It would be the perfect stone creation tool.
To bad the displaceable objects can't be populated.

Tangled-Universe

Really really cool shading/texturing Rene :)
For a future work you may consider combining your mesa-rock-modeling technique with this shader?

Quote from: Dune on September 08, 2017, 05:40:32 AM
Great stones, René. I've been experimenting with those as well (cubes), and if you get the right textures, who needs photogrammed assets?

I genuinely dislike those zillions of "artworks" on Artstation where "artists" stuff a scene with photogrammetry in Unreal Engine, take screenshots and then get >100 wows/likes/faves...what the hell. Childish shit.

Whoohoo...that's off my chest now, feels so much better :D

KlausK

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

If you don't bake the texture, you get a variety just like that, when you place the stones. Just have to make sure the variety is not too weird.

Hannes

fleetwood

Very nice textures.

I like the merge shader to produce rock texture variations. Once you get two or three good looking rock textures the merge can combine them to create a huge number of usable new textures rather easily, either by varying the starting textures in direct proportions using the merge slider or by using an additional  fractal as the mix control.

René

Another iteration. For now, I'm concentrating on the stones only.

Hannes

That looks fantastic, René!! If I didn't know, that you made them, I'd guess, these were Quixel Megascans rocks.

Lady of the Lake

Dune

Great. The moss effect is very natural too, like drying out old moss. The only thing that struck me as slightly unnatural are the cracks on the right stone, if you dont mind me saying. I do like the whitish stripes very much, like veins.

Hannes

I didn't notice that before, but Ulco is right about the cracks. They are there in the first image as well, but less prominent, which look a bit more natural.