Displaced spheres

Started by René, September 08, 2017, 03:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 08, 2017, 11:29:01 AM
Really really cool shading/texturing Rene :)
For a future work you may consider combining your mesa-rock-modeling technique with this shader?

Quote from: Dune on September 08, 2017, 05:40:32 AM
Great stones, René. I've been experimenting with those as well (cubes), and if you get the right textures, who needs photogrammed assets?

I genuinely dislike those zillions of "artworks" on Artstation where "artists" stuff a scene with photogrammetry in Unreal Engine, take screenshots and then get >100 wows/likes/faves...what the hell. Childish shit.

Whoohoo...that's off my chest now, feels so much better :D

heh heh heh...as a colourblind dude I have in the past used a fair amount of image maps but only to get green not brown where green belongs...I don't mind those photo models as the odd Hero object but composing an entire scene from them always strikes me as lazy or inept at modeling....Unless you are doing a scene based on an actual real world location but no one here is doing forensics ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

René

An attempt to create a procedural lichen texture.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

That's pretty good. Did you smooth the stone where the lichen will be? I did that a while ago, but you have to take care that the stone doesn't collapse.

mhaze

Great texturing but I agree about the cracks.

René

Quote from: Dune on September 11, 2017, 02:46:22 AM
Great. The moss effect is very natural too, like drying out old moss. The only thing that struck me as slightly unnatural are the cracks on the right stone, if you dont mind me saying. I do like the whitish stripes very much, like veins.
The cracks are too obvious voronoi and look like they have been dropped onto stone without taking into account the underlying structures. I have yet to find out how to deal with this.

René

Stone and moss

I used ngplant to make a small patch of moss.

René

Strange! I try to populate the sphere with a moss object but the instances are placed circularly. Interesting technique to make bird nests though.
What am I doing wrong?

Dune

I've had that as well, and should know what it's caused by, but can't remember at the moment. I think it also happens if your object isn't centered. You could check that first.

René

Sorry for my ignorance but which object do you mean, the sphere or the imported object? And where can I find the 'centered' function?

Dune

I mean the object that you populate with. You can't center that in TG, but has to be done in a modeling app (or Poseray). You can easily check if you import the object by itself and if it sits on 0/0/0, you're fine. Well, fine, then it's another problem.

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on September 17, 2017, 03:38:58 AM
Stone and moss

I used ngplant to make a small patch of moss.

Very nice René. re: moss. AP made some that I think are in file sharing here as well. your's are very nice as well though...have you considered sharing them here?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: René on September 17, 2017, 04:10:26 AM
Strange! I try to populate the sphere with a moss object but the instances are placed circularly. Interesting technique to make bird nests though.
What am I doing wrong?
Wondering if source Z up would change anything? Very cool rock however.