Downey Oak Lit Path

Started by bobbystahr, September 13, 2017, 09:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Found an old project and got back on it. I used the Stroke in the Simple Shape shader to create the mask for the lamp population. Anyone ever try that? Works a treat/ Not so good for texturing as it has no edge blend adjustment but fine for many types of road edge populations like weed and wildflowers . There is only a default sun lighting the scene, the lamp light comes from the pops default shader where I set the glass at 1000 in the Luminosity channel, could maybe have gone lower....next try for sure...
The Downey Oak is an XFROG freebie and has badly modeled roots and the grass is Dune/Ulco's. The lamp I got from renderosity in my Moderator period so I dunno who's it is. C&C moist welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Very cool, Bobby. A few suggestions; decrease the light indeed; sink the trees, so the ugly roots are underground; push the mist back to the background more (distance shader), and/or use a fractal to break it a bit, and darken it as well. Then a (ghostly) figure a bit distant on that path, a loner wandering through the park....

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

Wow! Nice trick on that luminosity. Great start here too. I know lots do not like heavy haze, but I enjoy those scenes. Remember when even getting a shadow was a trick? Enjoying and hating progress at the same time (as my hair gets grayer and grayer) LOL ;D

Hannes

Wow, really great. I like the lights. A bit too bright indeed, but that's no problem.
I hope you don't mind, but here is an example of what happens when you simply decrease the gamma in post, since the image looks a bit overexposed.

agent unawares

I would add a few (perhaps lower-poly) trees into the background to fill out the forest a bit more. This really is a wonderful start, it has a nice ominous haunted feel.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on September 14, 2017, 08:54:04 AM
Wow, really great. I like the lights. A bit too bright indeed, but that's no problem.
I hope you don't mind, but here is an example of what happens when you simply decrease the gamma in post, since the image looks a bit overexposed.

Not at all, Danny also sent me a post he did and they all land pretty much where I was heading...The light luminosity was set at 1000 but I've cut it back to 250 and the haze has been adjusted...had a thought of making the haze a desaturated green/grey but that didn't work out so it's colour is staying default. Still doing tests but will post the update later today. Will likely sink those ugly roots as suggested by Ulco, dunno about a ghostly figure but Richard did a project called Ghost that had one in it that would be perfect...will check if I dl'd it as I think he shared it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 14, 2017, 02:09:56 AM
Very cool, Bobby. A few suggestions; decrease the light indeed; sink the trees, so the ugly roots are underground; push the mist back to the background more (distance shader), and/or use a fractal to break it a bit, and darken it as well. Then a (ghostly) figure a bit distant on that path, a loner wandering through the park....

see my reply to hannes
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

I tried to incorporate as much of the advice as  could and had an attack of whimsey when chosing a character for the path. Maybe this in Central Park NY NY, heh heh heh . C&C welcome as always
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

One of your best works, Bobby. Though I still have some comments. Perhaps the lights can be less bright still, and I would change the position of the (great!) character so the branch doesn't grow out of his head. So a bit to the right or left, or edit the right hand tree (rotate 30-50º).
The tiny specks of light are presumably reflections off the lights/luminosities on the pebbles? They look like fireflies, which is kind of nice.
If it's Central park, why not add a wastebin, or some discarded stuff? Or a rat?  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 15, 2017, 02:01:22 AM
One of your best works, Bobby. Though I still have some comments. Perhaps the lights can be less bright still, and I would change the position of the (great!) character so the branch doesn't grow out of his head. So a bit to the right or left, or edit the right hand tree (rotate 30-50º).
The tiny specks of light are presumably reflections off the lights/luminosities on the pebbles? They look like fireflies, which is kind of nice.
If it's Central park, why not add a wastebin, or some discarded stuff? Or a rat?  ;)

I would edit the trees a lot actually Ulco, if they would but respond to my requests. After a point they seem to stop being editable....sigh. Agree on the light. Also a waste bin and a clutter of trash around it is a great idea...after my chiro appt. I'll get on that. And I see what you mean about his position, was more concerned getting him visible without adding a light. Wound up using an invisible luminous card object.
Figured it out. I'd been resisting repopulating as that changes everything; and then realized I had it cached so I hit repopulate and tickety boo I had an editable population again so after considerable messing about I have the trees behaving...doing a test now...found a cool grotty garbage can as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

agent unawares

That is the perfect character for this render.

bobbystahr

Well I like where this has come to, think Ill call it done and move on, maybe devote today to my "Lucille" and write some music.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Great, Bobby! Agree with Ulco. One of your best.