Computer Science at Uni...

Started by Dark Fire, September 18, 2007, 12:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

I have decided to do computer science at university - I'm certainly applying to do it at Cambridge, and I may apply for Imperial, UCL, and Warwick. Does anyone have any good advice on universities (in the UK) that do computer science? Has anyone been to any of the above universities or does anyone have a good opinion about another uni that I haven't thought about? Applications for Cambridge/Oxford/Medical-rubbish need to be at their destinations by the 15th of October, so I need to decide which other universities to apply to pretty quickly...

dhavalmistry

good luck man.....I hope you get into whichever uni you want
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Dark Fire

Well, I want to get into Cambridge, but what are the chances of that? Around 1 in 10 people who apply to do Computer Science there actually get in, and I don't think that anybody who isn't due to get at least 3 A's at A-Level would bother applying...so that's why I need advice on the other universities, a level down - effectively the Golden Triangle and Russell Group.

dhavalmistry

I am here in Canada and I dont know where u live but......if you want, I can tell you everything about universities and colleges here.....

zionner

Ok, this may seem like a strange recommendation, but you should apply for Abertay in dundee...It's a good university, and Universities in scotland are free!

dhavalmistry

Quote from: zionner on September 18, 2007, 02:29:51 PM
Universities in scotland are free!

WHAT?????....tell me a good uni for animation in Scotland and I am moving there.....

zionner

Well have a look on Abertays site: http://www.abertay.ac.uk/ all the courses are on there, I will be going there once I have the grades for a degree in Computer Programming

Dark Fire

To dhavalmistry: I did mention the UK in the first post.
To zionner: Wha...? Scottish Universities are free? When did that happen? Why has nobody told me until now? Is there any university on the English/Scottish border that is half free? ;) Are Welsh universities free too?

Dark Fire

I've just read through the Abertay website. The entrance requirements are worryingly low...

zionner

They're not low! at least i dont think so....for my course i need an AABB in higher! (which is diffrent from A levels if u live in england)

also..No i dont think welsh uni's are free..Its a thing the scottish government introduced

Dark Fire

Meh. The A-Level requirements are BBC. So far (half way through) I have AAAB and I'm dropping the subject I got a B in (Music Technology). That should leave me with 3xA. Do you have to live in Scotland for the free university thing?

zionner

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

zionner

Dark Fire

I've just typed VFS into Wikipedia and this is the result that seems most relevant to this topic. If it is what you're talking about, Will, I knew nothing about it until about 5 minutes ago, and now the only information I know about it is from that Wikipedia article.

Back to my questions though please:
- Does anyone have any good advice on universities (in the UK) that do computer science?
- Has anyone been to any of the universities in the first post or does anyone have a good opinion about another uni (in the UK) that I haven't thought about?
- Do you have to live in Scotland for the free university thing?

Thanks your your replies so far! :D