TG4 crashes when importing an object

Started by René, September 16, 2017, 08:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

All of a sudden TG4 crashes when importing an object(obj. and tgo.) It also crashes when I try to open an older TG document with imported objects. However when I open those documents or try to import an object in TG3.4 it works fine, so I guess it's not related to my computer or operating system(Apple os x 10.8.5). So I'm back to using TG 3.4 again.
Does anyone have an idea what can be causing the problem?

Tangled-Universe

That's weird?

So, if I understand correctly, when you import an obj/tgo into the default scene it crashes?

René

Exactly. I have tried several different TG files with several obj. files and TG4 crashes every time.  I can import objects in TG3.4, no problem at all, but if I then save that document and try to open it in TG4 it crashes.
As I said, for the time being I'm working in TG3.4, but I'd really like to go back to TG4.

cyphyr

Very odd indeed.
I'm working with TG 4.1.11 (PC version) now with a scene with many tgo's and obj and have had no crashes at all.
Have you tried a re-install?
It might (unlikely) be the drive that the objects are on is failing. Could you try opening a project in tg3.4 and gathering to a diferent location and then opening the gathered file in TG4.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

My first guess would actually be something conflicting with the graphics drivers. Do you get any other information when it crashes? Try closing the 3D Preview before importing the objects. If that fixes it, it's probably an OpenGL issue. Then you can try updating your graphics drivers to see if that helps. I wonder actually whether you recently updated them and that is what might be causing the problem?

- Oshyan

René

Thanks for the responses.
Oshyan: That's right, I didn't upgrade the graphics drivers. It only surprises me that TG4 from one moment to the next no longer imported any objects. I was terrified for a few seconds that I couldn't open any TG document ever again. :o The only warning I received was about a problem with mtllib.

masonspappy

Quote from: René on September 17, 2017, 03:08:28 AM
Oshyan: That's right, I didn't upgrade the graphics drivers. It only surprises me that TG4 from one moment to the next no longer imported any objects. I was terrified for a few seconds that I couldn't open any TG document ever again. :o The only warning I received was about a problem with mtllib.
Open the .OBJ file in a text editor and find the line (usually near the top of the .OBJ file) That Points to the MTLLIB. if the MTLLIB doesn't live where the pointer says it does you can usually edit the .OBJ file to point to the correct location (hint, unless you like living dangerously back up the .OBJ file before editing).   

Oshyan

Hmm, yes it's strange that it would suddenly stop working if you didn't upgrade the graphics driver. Are you sure that Windows Update did not perform an upgrade without your knowledge? :D

Also, did closing the 3D Preview work?

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on September 17, 2017, 06:24:33 PM

Hmm, yes it's strange that it would suddenly stop working if you didn't upgrade the graphics driver. Are you sure that Windows Update did not perform an upgrade without your knowledge? :D

Also, did closing the 3D Preview work?

- Oshyan

Rene runs with mac
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Ah, well Mac may also update without his permission. ;) The operating system updates often include graphics driver updates as well, but they are not explicitly mentioned.

- Oshyan