Rock Won't Displace

Started by treddie, September 17, 2017, 08:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 21, 2017, 04:22:37 PM

Did you also transform the powerfractal to make sure that both rock objects receive the same info?
Say the left rock is at the origin 0,0,0 and the right rock is at 2,0,0.
Then for the right rock you'd need to transform the powerfractals output with +2 meters for an exact match of input.

Sorry, I neglected to transform the fractals in those earlier tests, but have done it here.

Both examples here do show the incorrect shadows made by a displaced rock object. The shadows of the rock object appear to be pre-calculated based on the undisplaced object.

Example 1 is the 20 face rock object with one subdivision on the left and the 80 face rock object with no subdivisions on the right.

Example 2 is  a 256 face rock object with 4 subdivisions on the left compared to a Terragen displaceable sphere on the right.
        Note that the shadow of the rock object is just a simple round shape as compared to the more complex shadow of the sphere object.
Example 3 orthographic camera view

I would repeat: anyone wanting to make a hero rock, it is probably better use of time to work with one of the Terragen displaceable objects like the cube or sphere or an imported high poly object.

Oshyan

If you use the Mesh Displacer input you get correct shadows and don't have to use Force Displacement.

- Oshyan

fleetwood

Thanks Oshyan,
I'll have to give that a try.

Dune

Thanks for exploring this. You're right, but for distance the pop works well enough if you can't really use fake stones. The more distant stones in my latest neanderthal render are a pop of rocks.