Reverse Engineering a Node Graph

Started by AutomatonJohn, October 03, 2017, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutomatonJohn

I am wondering if anyone could reverse engineer what these nodes are?

https://imgur.com/WH8Hn4Y

Im looking to make a canyon/Cliff Edge

Cheers!
John

bobbystahr

If you're trying to do a canyon/cliff wall try this thread. First post has a .tgd available to mess around with and haven't looked through the whole thread but there may be helpful updates from other members chiming in.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20816.45.html

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AutomatonJohn

Yeah, thanks man. I've taken a read.

Im wracking my brain trying to understand this stuff. I have used node-based stuff in software for years now. Substance Designer, Unreal Engine 4. But man I cant seem to get my head around this.

bobbystahr

Quote from: AutomatonJohn on October 03, 2017, 11:30:06 AM
Yeah, thanks man. I've taken a read.

Im wracking my brain trying to understand this stuff. I have used node-based stuff in software for years now. Substance Designer, Unreal Engine 4. But man I cant seem to get my head around this.

you're not alone, there are many as confused by them as you are  rest assured...me included!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

That's pretty simple actually; with the voronoi you make well, the voronoi noise (color adjust needed to get hard or soften edges of the 'cracks', the top right is a constant scalar with the width/scale of the cracks), then you displace that down with a displacement shader, then you add a compute terrain to calculate new normals and XYZ variables, then you can add a displacement variable that can move the walls more vertical or even overhangs, either by a single displacement value or by a power fractal.
If you build what you see in that image, you'll find out. The lower 2 compute terrains are not really needed.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 04, 2017, 03:07:03 AM
That's pretty simple actually; with the voronoi you make well, the voronoi noise (color adjust needed to get hard or soften edges of the 'cracks', the top right is a constant scalar with the width/scale of the cracks), then you displace that down with a displacement shader, then you add a compute terrain to calculate new normals and XYZ variables, then you can add a displacement variable that can move the walls more vertical or even overhangs, either by a single displacement value or by a power fractal.
If you build what you see in that image, you'll find out. The lower 2 compute terrains are not really needed.

Great explanation of that set up Ulco...I may have to try that out...but it's another music day ...as soon's I finish my emails...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New