documentation?

Started by mstasiuk, September 29, 2017, 01:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mstasiuk

Anybody know where the beginner documentation is to be found?
I just bought the software and tried learning the basics of the interface etc., and on the main page of the wiki you see the text below but the pages are empty. Anybody have links that work? Like, worst software docs ever in history....

Creating Your First Scene
A step-by-step tutorial on how to create a basic Terragen 4 scene.

Terragen 4 User Guide Part 1: Fundamental Concepts and User Interface Overview
The User Guide is a series of documents that give an overview of all the major work areas of Terragen 4 and how to construct a basic scene. It is designed to be read through completely over time.

Terragen 4 User Guide Part 2: Fundamental Rendering and Shader Concepts
This part of the User Guide explains some of the fundamental concepts used for rendering and shaders.

Upon Infinity

Hello mstasiuk, welcome to the forum.

Yes, the documentation for Terragen is not great at all and seriously needs to be addressed at some point by the devs.  I have a few ideas about how this could be done. 

There are a few tutorials you can access online on YouTube.  Here is one by Vladimir Chopine on YouTube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRFJ4Vptt8

Besides that, the forums is probably the best place to post a question to figure out how to do something specific.

To start off with, I would stick to using the tabs at the top of the screen, Objects, Terrain, Shaders, etc.  until you get the hang of the node system, which can get quite complicated.  As you start to set up your scene you will see how the nodes work and interact with each other and you will learn to manipulate them directly.

digitalguru

hi, would you be Mark Stasiuk from Fusion CI Studios?

mstasiuk

hi Upon Infinity,
thanks for that, I will follow your advice! The planetside team also got back to me and provided some additional advice, not sure why it's hard to get basic docs together....

mstasiuk

digitalguru

good to see you on the forum, I often drop by your page to see your latest Realflow R&D, very inspiring!

mstasiuk

Thanks, nice to hear. Looking forward to getting some good things done with terragen. Watch out for my questions!
Mark