Terragen 4 - super slow file saves and loads

Started by mstasiuk, October 03, 2017, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mstasiuk

Does anybody know why terragen4 is so incredibly slow at saving and loading scene files? These are very simple scenes and they take well over a minute to load and save. I'm talking, project files only ~35kb in size, containing a couple cloud layers, a sun, a lake and a basic default terrain. This on very fast machines and a very fast network. It seems to hang - no network activity, hardly any cpu or memory stuff going on. So frustrating, because we keep having to load and save because it crashes a lot. Any way to speed these things up?

KlausK

hi,
I wouldn`t know why your basic scenes take so long to save and/or load.
To answer that you should have to post a "problematic" tgd here so anyone can take a look at what you have there.

Since you mention several cloud layers, this could be part of it. Or any more or less unusual / extreme values
(meaning, far off from the default values) in any setting? I for one cannot confirm a lot of crashing of Terragen overall.
I can crash TG when I change settings while a render is going on.
Also opening more then 3-4 little 3D previews of nodes open crashes TG (almost always) - without using the RTP.
That`s about it...mainly. Again, post a file here if you can. Cheers, Klaus.

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

mstasiuk

hi Klaus,
thx. Strangely, after doing a few other revisions and renders, nothing extreme, those files started saving and loading super fast. I'm thinking there may have been some scene damage from a crash, that got resolved somehow later.
I get crashes regularly, typically when am changing a parameter in a floating window. I get like 5 crashes a day. I'm doing a lot of similar things in each scene - water surface, some clouds, visible sun. So probably I keep hitting the same conditions for crashing. I just installed the latest build, maybe it'll be better.
cheers,
Mark

bobbystahr

Quote from: mstasiuk on October 03, 2017, 06:04:58 PM
hi Klaus,
thx. Strangely, after doing a few other revisions and renders, nothing extreme, those files started saving and loading super fast. I'm thinking there may have been some scene damage from a crash, that got resolved somehow later.
I get crashes regularly, typically when am changing a parameter in a floating window. I get like 5 crashes a day. I'm doing a lot of similar things in each scene - water surface, some clouds, visible sun. So probably I keep hitting the same conditions for crashing. I just installed the latest build, maybe it'll be better.
cheers,
Mark

I've had problems working with Power Fractals, typically not plugged into a network but with it's preview window open for designing in. Rarely when it's actually in a stack though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

The crashes I get usually have to do with changing parameters when RTP is on, so my suggestion would be to use that sparingly and only when needed. And never change parameters while rendering. That's like painting your roof and moving the ladder meantime  :P

pokoy

Sounds similar to what I'v been getting, together with slow responding and short freezes, started a thread about it here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23504.0.html

For some reason, working longer on some files a few weeks ago didn't display any of the hickups, no idea why it seems to stall on really simple scenes sometimes.

Oshyan

Most of these crashing issues tend to be due to graphics driver issues. Unfortunately they're hard to reproduce and hard to fix, either on your end (by updating or rolling back drivers), or on ours, by changing something in the OpenGL rendering code. They have plagued TG and many other applications off and on for a long time. *sigh*

As far as slow load/save, that sounds very strange. Despite what Klaus said, more complex cloud layers, etc. should not cause slowdown of load/save, at least as far as disk operations are concerned (the actual load/save part). If the preview is busy updating, then things could get slow, but that only begins for loading once the scene is *already loaded*, and for saving, if you are having CPU load issues due to preview update, you can just Pause the preview. But I suspect this was something else unusual happening because it sounds like it has resolved itself, at least partially.

Anyway suffice to say that when TG is saving, it mostly just writes a pretty simple XML file format, and this does not take much time. So I'm not sure what was going on, but hopefully it stays fixed. If it happens again I would suggest trying a test save on a local volume, not on the network, and see if that addresses it. If so it would appear to be something network-related, which will help us track it down if it's something TG could be handling better.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 04, 2017, 02:33:22 AM
The crashes I get usually have to do with changing parameters when RTP is on, so my suggestion would be to use that sparingly and only when needed. And never change parameters while rendering. That's like painting your roof and moving the ladder meantime  :P

ha ha ha....great analogy
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

mstasiuk

hi Oshyan,
yeah I tried saving locally and same thing happened, super slow. Well, that was before it fixed itself. So not sure what was going on. Since then, been doing lots of terragen stuff and all going well. Perhaps I was doing some newbie thing and have not been since.
Mark

masonspappy

Quote from: mstasiuk on October 05, 2017, 08:06:14 PM
hi Oshyan,
yeah I tried saving locally and same thing happened, super slow. Well, that was before it fixed itself. So not sure what was going on. Since then, been doing lots of terragen stuff and all going well. Perhaps I was doing some newbie thing and have not been since.
Mark
Don't know what kind of rig you're using, how much RAM, and OS, but something that use to happen to me was that my development machine would download updates behind the scenes, and a few times slowed down to a crawl.  Depending on what OS you've got you might want to check if automatic updates are turned on, and disable them if they are.

mstasiuk

Good advice thx, and I have experienced that myself at times, such an arse pain!
However our workstations are all set to no updates, so that wasn't it. I'm just glad it isn't happening now.
cheers,
Mark