Old tree in the green

Started by KlausK, October 05, 2017, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

hi, this image came into being while experimenting with procedural displacements on a very basic tree object I did in another app.
I am exploring the redirect shader and force displacement in the objects render settings among other stuff.
Will post some close ups of the tree obj later showing the raw imported file and some variations.
What do you think?
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Upon Infinity

Neat concept, good angle, although the image details are a bit bare and the tree model seems a bit rough.  I think, maybe, some clouds in the sky, and some small details in the background could do a world of good. 

bobbystahr

Interesting,. I found with Forced Disp  a little goes a long way and the more polys on the mesh the better for starters, plus generally you need way higher AA...carry on...we're hooked.

edit
here's a test I did a while back...finding it was a minor miracle, heh heh. the render times tell you a lot...all the specs are in the image titles.
I used a normals map for disp as it worked better than an actual disp map
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

KlausK

Weekend over - time to reply: thanks for commenting!

@Upon Infinity: actually that was in the back of my mind to have very little image detail.
But maybe you`re right, I`ll think about what I could do in this department. (Clouds are a different matter - that`s just laziness, impatience and lack of expertise
to get something I imagine...). I am thinking of some other objects in the scenery that will - hopefully - carry the vision of bareness and roughness to the viewer.

@bobbystahr: I have not used displacement / normal / bump maps so far. Atm I am curious how far I can get these structures with the shaders.
Btw. the tree obj has over 1.3 million triangles and Terragen handles this quite easily.
(see picture. The cube is a 1x1m obj from tg)

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

bobbystahr

Quote from: KlausK on October 09, 2017, 08:21:06 AM
Weekend over - time to reply: thanks for commenting!

@bobbystahr: I have not used displacement / normal / bump maps so far. Atm I am curious how far I can get these structures with the shaders.
Btw. the tree obj has over 1.3 million triangles and Terragen handles this quite easily.
(see picture. The cube is a 1x1m obj from tg)

CHeers, Klaus

Yeah, TG is a monster for handling huge models....likely it will populate it nicely as well. Just a tip though, if you save it as a .tgo it will be 1/2 approx the load size.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

It will be less space on your drive, but it's like a zip, so in TG it's expanded again.