Fractal breakup

Started by N-drju, October 06, 2017, 08:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

What is the use of the fractal breakup option in the distribution shader? It's there by default, but doesn't seem to have any influence on the look and coverage of the distribution shader. No matter what the fractal scales are.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

It's covered in the docs (and is the same as the Fractal Breakup in the Surface Layer): http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Distribution_Shader_v4
If you're not seeing the effect, maybe the breakup is not high enough, or the Coverage is too high to see the influence (if Coverage is at or above 1, Fractal Breakup has a significantly lesser effect).

- Oshyan

Dune

I always wondered why the breakup shader has such high warp and unclamped colors by default. When decreasing coverage this often results in unwanted lines in textures, so I often change it all or replace by PF.

N-drju

Well, I never really use it anymore. I find other ways to break up the coverage to be more profound and efficient.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"