WiP - Mountainous structures

Started by KlausK, October 09, 2017, 07:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Hi
here`s a little wip sequence of a default scene Fractal Terrain evolving into a mountainous structure.
It is not yet (perhaps) worked out in high detail.
I wanted to explore the use of Transform Shaders, Masks, Redirect Shaders to better understand what they are doing.

Starting off with a small masked fractal terrain I added a duplicate of that on top of itself, only showing through where
the distribution shaders altitude settings allow.
The transform shaders move the different masses (terrains, power fractals) around and let them interact with each other.
A little bit like a boolean operation.
Since I use a simple fractal terrain node (and not a displaceable object, for example) the mask applied to this node determines
how much fractal "mass" is available for the process. Make it larger --> more terrain to interact with. Make it smaller --> less terrain.
Transforming the different structures this way does not run out of "building material" so to speak.
First set of pictures shows the progress in place - the terrains have not yet been moved .

Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Second set of pictures shows what happens when you move the different fractal terrains (and with them all the other stuff) around against each other. Cheers, Klaus

ps: I hope, I don`t bore anyone to tears... ???
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

And this is a screenshot of the node network. Quite simple, not very many nodes, actually.
Cheers, Klaus

Rumburak

Good stuff. These are some very nice structures.

KlausK

luvsmuzik

Very very nice! Experiments are never boring! Thank you for sharing this.

KlausK

Hi,
here`s a mix out of the Fractal terrain from a Default scene and a steep ridge done with blue nodes.
Clouds are Easy Clouds Altocumulus Castellanus, Coverage:0.85 and Grow:3.5, 130mil Voxels.
CHeers, Klaus

Jo Kariboo

Nice experimentations! I like n.24 to 33.

KlausK

Thank you Jo Kariboo.

Here`s another one.
Some specks in the left of the render. Forgot to edit them out.
CHeers, Klaus

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

KlausK

@bobbystahr: thanks very much!
@Dune: ...now that you mention it...

And sorry for the late reply. Your comments slipped through my "filters".
CHeers, Klaus