1000/100 meter Grid Overlay

Started by cyphyr, September 19, 2007, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Heres one for you. I've always had problems trying to visualize texture values and scales. So I created a simple mask that can be overlayed in the y axis and provides a basic acurate scale reference. The yellow squares are 1000m and the red squares are 100m. Of course you can always re-scale this your self by just changing the value of the image size in the image map shaders. To use simply extract the contents of the rar file to your working directory and plug the your planets input to the GRID OUTPUT and your last shader into the input of the GRID OUTPUT node. The attached clip file keeps everything out of the way but you can of course copy and paste the nodes in to your shader group. Hope this is helpful and please improve on it as much as possible. (I'm sure a function version would be possible which may have more advanced uses...)
Thanks
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Volker Harun

Very useful thing in TG09 - now available here. Thanks for the work and sharing!

Harvey Birdman

Thanks, Richard!! That is WAY handy.

So... when are you going to release the procedural version?

:)

bigben

A good idea. I only got the group when I inserted the clip even though there was other code in it. Haven't had a close look why though.

I simplified this a bit to use a single BW image as a surface layer mask. This way you don't need to warry about transparency. The grids are semi-transparent by dropping the coverage below 0.5

You can add finer grids to heart's content for working at different detail levels by simply duplicating a surface layer/image map pair and changing the scale of the image map. The final node is not really required, I just added it as a connection point. Whose up for a functional version?  ;)

Harvey Birdman

Cool!

Quote from: bigben on September 19, 2007, 07:58:29 PM
The final node is not really required, I just added it as a connection point.

What's the matter? Getting defensive?

;)   ;D

Whose up for a functional version?

It was cyphyr's idea. Let's make him do it.    :)

cyphyr

Half the reason I posted it here was to get it improved and hey guess what, it already has been :D
old_blaggard has just posted a tutorial on functions and once I've got my head around that maybe theres a way forward there. I don't want to add anything to the computer overhead so the simpler the better.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

bigben

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on September 19, 2007, 08:31:44 PM
Cool!

The final node is not really required, I just added it as a connection point.

What's the matter? Getting defensive?

;)   ;D

Not defensive, merely stating a fact  :P I use nodes like this in development to reduce the amount of reconnections required to preview a result. I leave them in if they provide a clearer connection point to reduce the amount of explaining needed.

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on September 19, 2007, 08:31:44 PM

Whose up for a functional version?

It was cyphyr's idea. Let's make him do it.    :)

OK, we'll give him 48 hours  ;)

cyphyr

Great Now the pressures on lol :D

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Volker Harun

Richard asked me to upload his work  ;D

It is not very accurate as a Sin is used - and scaling a Sinus to 100m ... hmmmmm.

Anyway, attached

bigben

And well within the 48 hours... that must be a good tutorial   ;)

Now all we need is one from a boolean geek   ;D

mogn

Another version (no magic numbers and trigometric functions)

The last node is connected to the Fratal breakup and the colour layer (colour=yellow,fractal breakup=1,coverage=0.5)

cyphyr

Excelent :) very nicely put together
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

It's got 0,1 clamps... that's effectively boolean  ;)

Volker Harun