Render elements question

Started by rolland1013, September 11, 2017, 01:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolland1013

Can anyone tell me how to create a render element with only trees?  Bonus points if you can tell me how to do it for individual tree and plant types.  I still want to generate all the standard render element passes, I just want to be able to isolate the foliage and objects.

Thanks,
Niel

Oshyan

Put your objects into a separate object group and use the Layers functionality in the Render Layer node. You can then set visibility per-group. You will have to do separate renders for each separate group of objects you want though.

- Oshyan

rolland1013

Thanks for your reply Oshyan.  Although I still seem to be getting something wrong.  I want to isolate a tree type and have everything else as a holdout, but when I group the tree type, other objects (a foreground bush in this example) is rendered as well.  I have tried doing it two ways, one with just the tree in a group, and one with the tree in group and the bush in it's own group set to holdout.  What am I doing wrong?

Oshyan

Hmm, I believe holdout may currently be broken. We will be looking into this and addressing it ASAP if that is indeed the case. It would be available in a free 4.1 update, though I can't give a specific date yet. Sorry about that!

- Oshyan

Dune

That could well be, as I lately used a plane to get some reflective light, but it didn't work as before if set to invisible or holdout (it still showed up). 

rolland1013

I eagerly await the update.  ;)

Thx
Niel

Matt

Hi Niel,

This has been fixed in 4.1.15.frontier. If you check for updates within the app you should see this build available to you now.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rolland1013

I guess I should be checking the forums more frequently.  Thanks for the fix Matt!!!

Niel