Waves at shore proto-proof-of-concept

Started by swiftstream, December 30, 2006, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiftstream

Hey all,

I've been playing with making sort-of-rolling waves following a shoreline; Here's my first render.

I call it a proto-proof-of-concept because the effect isn't very convincing--but I think it has potential--and I didn't do anything with the rest of the scene, so it looks pretty ugly.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome, and feel free to play with the file yourself--note that you'll have to generate the terrain.

crazymonkey

really nice job ;D some surface work and a tidy atmo and that scene is set.

top stuff.

Oshyan

Hmm! Very creative. :D I hope someone runs with this and takes it even further. :)

- Oshyan

swiftstream

Well, I intend to take it further myself, but somehow being home never leaves me with as much free time as I expect, so I thought I'd throw it out there so other people can play with it if they like.

Jester71

Great concept!

thanks for the tgd, I'll play with it as soon as I'll have a chance!
Giacomo the Jester
Jester71.com - me, myself and more...

king_tiger_666

here is a little experiment with this... it isn't very good since it isn't limited to a shore but it holds promise as some swash on a beach if there is a way to limit its extent....

the boat is a free download from www.turbosquird.com
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

swiftstream

Alright, I've played with this a bit more. The major changes are:

1) Stuff to limit the waves to close to shore
2) Foam on the water
3) Surfacing work

I'm not particularly happy with the latter two, especially the rock surface. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

king_tiger_666

i think the waves could be a little steeper, or if you are attempting to have more of a swash, broken wave look more foam?... also could you post your tga so we can have a look please?

swiftstream

Sure thing :D

Edit: If you want to play with it, note that it renders fairly slowly--over 14 hours for that 800x400 render.

king_tiger_666

swiftstream

Intel Pentium M 1.6 Ghz.

There's a lot of water, GI at 3/3, and two complicated shader networks. Oh, and the rocks near the water have a reflective shader as well.

king_tiger_666

here is my start... 14mins render. i will slowly be getting this with some vegetation and fixing the water like you have done with a series of shaders...

king_tiger_666

ok here it is now... i don't like how the palm trunk has no texture.. the water looks alright.. i guess

tga+textures here http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~rawjdmbj/downloads/render8.zip