DSM, DTM, DEM's

Started by dorianvan, October 18, 2017, 03:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorianvan

Can Terragen utilize DSM and DTM's or just DEM? If not, is there another way for DSM/DTM?
-Dorian

Oshyan

"DEM" is not really a format, it is a type of data. Terragen can import a wide variety of real-world "DEM" formats, including GeoTIFF, BIN, ArcGrid, and more. Most popular formats, including a majority of heightfield formats provided by the USGS, are supported. I suggest you download your format and use the "Heightfield Load DEM" option on the Terrain layout to see if your format loads. It probably will unless it's fairly obscure.

- Oshyan

Dune

We need a relatively detailed heightmap of this region, but it needs not to be overly expensive. See here: http://search.mapmart.com/data/mapnew.html?WhereFrom=Advanced&category=ALL
Maybe the Harris gap-filled 90m would even do with some additional displacements? That's cheap enough. And we should be able to edit in Photoshop.

bobbystahr

Interesting thread. Searched for Harris and found a couple of "terragen format' free samples there...cool. they download in the zip as .ter files.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

I generally use the free Earth Explorer, which has 1 arc second (30 meter) data from both ASTER and SRTM for that area: https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
Having just done a comparison I'd say the ASTER data might be slightly superior (vs. the 1 arc second SRTM global data set).

Alternatively ALOS data is also available at 1 arc second: http://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/aw3d30/index.htm
I wasn't able to find the correct ALOS tile as easily since it doesn't allow arbitrary coordinate input, but the data quality looked good, so if you can find your area it could be at least comparable to the ASTER data, and possibly better.

All three sets are free. You generally do not need to pay for data unless you need higher than 30m/pixel resolution (globally, or 10m in the US).

- Oshyan

Dune

These guys are asking $500 for a TIFF, and many thousands for imagery to cover that. So thanks, Oshyan! Maybe 30m would be good enough with some additional TG displacements and procedural coloring. Dorian is the one to decide, however.

Oshyan

Yeah, they're asking $500 for the same resolution of data you can get for free! It's even more for higher resolution data.

- Oshyan

Dune

We also need to be able to tweak the TIFF in PS, as there are a few buildings and crop that needs to be removed. I hope that's possible with their data.

Oshyan

You can load a GeoTIFF into Photoshop for adjustment, but I don't know if it will preserve the georeferencing info when saved from there.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on October 21, 2017, 09:46:31 PM
You can load a GeoTIFF into Photoshop for adjustment, but I don't know if it will preserve the georeferencing info when saved from there.

- Oshyan

checked with photoshop and all they have is this:

TIFF

Tagged-Image File Format (TIFF, TIF) is used to exchange files between applications and computer platforms. TIFF is a flexible bitmap image format supported by virtually all paint, image-editing, and page-layout applications. Also, virtually all desktop scanners can produce TIFF images. TIFF documents have a maximum file size of 4 GB.

TIFF format supports CMYK, RGB, Lab, Indexed Color, and Grayscale images with alpha channels and Bitmap mode images without alpha channels. Photoshop can save layers in a TIFF file; however, if you open the file in another application, only the flattened image is visible. Photoshop can also save notes, transparency, and multiresolution pyramid data in TIFF format.

In Photoshop, TIFF image files have a bit depth of 8, 16, or 32 bits per channel. You can save HDR images as 32‑bits-per-channel TIFF files.

But i found this which sounds cool

http://archive.avenza.com/geographic-imager
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Cool find, Bobby, may come in handy one day. But the georeferencing is not important luckily. I relocated the center of interest to 0/0/0 anyway for ease of manouvring camera's and having trees sit upright. Thanks, guys!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 22, 2017, 03:46:50 AM
Cool find, Bobby, may come in handy one day. But the georeferencing is not important luckily. I relocated the center of interest to 0/0/0 anyway for ease of manouvring camera's and having trees sit upright. Thanks, guys!

cool, but filed for future needs of any one here...upright trees are the best kind...the only ones I hang from..er with hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New