Shows wrong amount of RAM

Started by dhavalmistry, September 19, 2007, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Very interesting questions Moose, especially the first one.
Maybe Oshyan knows some 'benchmarks' from the alpha-testers? If he's allowed to tell of course.

Matt

Moose,

It's true that there will not be a linear speedup. In some cases it may be more efficient to render multiple instances and limit the number of threads per instance. However, some advantage can be gained by rendering the image in one instance on multiple cores, and that is from the decreased RAM use.

You will be able to limit the number of threads that TG2 renders with, so it will be possible to experiment with different rendering strategies.

I don't want to release any benchmarks at this stage, but early testing shows speedups on 2 cores and on 4 cores that are very reasonable for some scenes. It remains to be seen how well this applies to a wide range of scenes, especially more complex ones, so it would be foolish to give any figures just yet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on December 12, 2007, 09:18:59 PM

I don't want to release any benchmarks at this stage, but early testing shows speedups on 2 cores and on 4 cores that are very reasonable for some scenes. It remains to be seen how well this applies to a wide range of scenes, especially more complex ones, so it would be foolish to give any figures just yet.

Matt

I understand. Thank your for response and explanation. From next wednesday I'll have my new quad-core systeem and also 4 weeks off, so it's perfect timing of you guys :)