Recent experiments (by lack of a better title)

Started by Dune, October 28, 2017, 10:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Two more (quite different) recent renders. Placement of trees and grass might be better, though.

bobbystahr

Like 'em both but the hill shot with the grass cascading down is very striking.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Summer river is picture perfect to me.  :)
Are you actually forming cave tunnels in the square rock one? That is fabulous!
Can't say enough about your texturing techniques, so very accurate and natural.

Dune

QuoteAre you actually forming cave tunnels in the square rock one? That is fabulous!
Yes, totally new technique!

;D ;D

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 01, 2017, 10:51:01 AM
QuoteAre you actually forming cave tunnels in the square rock one? That is fabulous!
Yes, totally new technique!

;D ;D

care to enlighten us then?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Ah, no. Or yes, actually; it just isn't possible in TG, unless folding some parts of the globe across eachother. That may have happened here, or it's a trick of the eye.

Some new experiment, trying to get squarish rocks without compute terrain. Just a mix of subtle vector displaced smooth voro-noise, mixed with fake stones (I wish those smooth voronoi versions would have adjustable smoothness). Renders in 19mins.

Never mind the title; I started out trying to get hanging valleys, without succes, so far.

AP

Quote from: Dune on November 15, 2017, 02:37:56 AM
Ah, no. Or yes, actually; it just isn't possible in TG, unless folding some parts of the globe across eachother. That may have happened here, or it's a trick of the eye.

Some new experiment, trying to get squarish rocks without compute terrain. Just a mix of subtle vector displaced smooth voro-noise, mixed with fake stones (I wish those smooth voronoi versions would have adjustable smoothness). Renders in 19mins.

Never mind the title; I started out trying to get hanging valleys, without succes, so far.

Could you just use the Soft maximum or minimum scaler or a Smooth step scaler on top of the Smooth voronoi scaler?

The only way I can think of making hanging valleys is using the Alpine fractal shader as it somewhat does produce hanging valleys. Perhaps another way is mixing several different scaled Voronoi scalers using certain mixing scalers making certain that there is a clamp type scaler used for the primary valleys and basins below. I tried that on a number of occasions and had some success in doing so.

Dune

I tried it using Daniil's plugin with some masking and two kinds of erosion, but that didn't really work. At least not as easy as I hoped  ;)
I'm not really into making hanging valleys (it was just a thought), but I'll remember your ideas.

Dune

Smooth step just increases the contrast, but not really how soft the edges are, I'm afraid.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 15, 2017, 09:26:21 AM
I tried it using Daniil's plugin with some masking and two kinds of erosion, but that didn't really work. At least not as easy as I hoped  ;)
I'm not really into making hanging valleys (it was just a thought), but I'll remember your ideas.

Uh...what's a "hanging valley" ?   I'm not grasping the concept.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

Quote from: Dune on November 15, 2017, 09:27:36 AM
Smooth step just increases the contrast, but not really how soft the edges are, I'm afraid.

Perhaps using the Gain or Bias functions?

AP

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 15, 2017, 01:20:41 PM

https://www4.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/lemke/alpine_glacial_glossary/landforms/hangingvalley.html

bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on November 15, 2017, 06:58:49 PM

https://www4.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/lemke/alpine_glacial_glossary/landforms/hangingvalley.html

Thanks AP, guess I could have googled it....but thanks for your patience I guess...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

AP

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 15, 2017, 08:40:41 PM
Quote from: AP on November 15, 2017, 06:58:49 PM

Thanks AP, guess I could have googled it....but thanks for your patience I guess...

You are welcome.

Dune

Bias and gain won't work either, as the colors are 'flat' but for a small edge of transition. The area of transition between black and  grey-1, grey 2, grey 3 (so to speak) should ideally be wider. Kind of like blur in PS, but you can't smooth the voro function by smoothing shader either. But I've got another idea.