Forests Edge

Started by Scott_TX, October 30, 2017, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_TX

My students and I have been working on creating trees and other plants in Blender.  Attached is an image of our creations.
AMD 3900X with 48GB Ram GTX1660Ti

Matt

Very nice. Welcome to the forum!
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Beautiful and KUDOs to you for taking them there....welcome to the forum.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

J_Con

Excellent work. Building trees by hand can be a painful tedious job.Hats off!

AP

Quote from: Scott_TX on October 30, 2017, 03:17:04 PM
My students and I have been working on creating trees and other plants in Blender.  Attached is an image of our creations.

That render looks good. How were the trees done? Default only using Blender or some plugin addition?

mhaze

Excellent render and trees.

Scott_TX

They were modeled using the Sapling add-on for blender.  The textures were made from photos taken of actual trees in the surrounding area.  We modeled Post Oak, yaupon, live oak, and brown-eyed susans.

J_Con

Sapling script...what an amazing piece of software. Blender is the program that just keeps giving.

luvsmuzik

Great image and excellent use of Blender. I am glad to see a nice thick trunk with good branch and leaf distribution. Many, many options with that feature. Are you displacing the trunk at all with displacement modifier in a vertex group, or using a bump-displace image? In other words....close-up please! :)

Scott_TX

Another angle.

Oshyan

Ah, I like this latest image a lot, much more evocative than the first. It shows the models better too, which are pretty good overall. You could make even more complex trunk and branch geometry though, Terragen can handle it. :)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Agree with Oshyan and wow, fine veg modeling, have you considered sharing that brown eyed susan...a most important volunteer weed for prairie scenes and I don't have one, heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Oshyan on November 09, 2017, 07:20:08 PM
Ah, I like this latest image a lot, much more evocative than the first. It shows the models better too, which are pretty good overall. You could make even more complex trunk and branch geometry though, Terragen can handle it. :)

- Oshyan

I tried to link to this quote in my image post, sorry I did it wrong.

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23795.0.html