Between a Cloud and a Hard Place

Started by fleetwood, November 01, 2017, 02:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Out at the old canyon reservoir.

Mostly this is a V3 cloud experiment using the masking available in the Beta. Also modified Hetzen square noise functions on the terrain.

Dune

Very nice. Subdued and foreboding, somehow.

fleetwood

N-drju

Wow... the cloud looks like a real one!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

mhaze

Really good clouds and a moody atmosphere, great!

zaxxon

Wonderful image, love those V3 clouds! Ominous mood with a sense of depth and gravity.

bobbystahr

Wow, agree with zaxxon on the ver 3 clouds. If I'm working on something and need inspiration I add a ver 3 or easy cloud and something always happens....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

Thanks for all comments.

For comparison, this is a render of the starting cloud, the original, out of the box, easy cloud, with no masking or tweaks applied,and using the default coverage. The seed, radius, base altitude, depth, and location parameters are exactly the same in the final render, although it may not look it.

In the final render the masking is a separate cloud density fractal of a different seed*, a color adjust shader and  then a transform shader  to position (by trial and error) the new density fractal in relation to the original easy cloud.
I first increased the "coverage" parameter of the basic easy cloud a very great deal and then used the mask arrangement as a way of cutting it back. Many of the parameters in the easy cloud then were tweaked for appearance. The final is about the 25th iteration that I actually rendered out.

So it's not much of an "easy" cloud anymore. A highly tweaked easy cloud should be called a Tweasy Cloud

* you might be thinking, if you like a certain seed why not just use that seed for the easy cloud itself and make it simple, however that produced an uninteresting and very different end result.

Dune

Thanks for explaining all the hard work that went into this.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 04, 2017, 04:24:10 AM
Thanks for explaining all the hard work that went into this.

Indeed...25 iterations on my current machine would likely take a few days...saving for a Ryzen7 machine upgrade.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist