Classic Erosion plugin

Started by Daniil, November 03, 2017, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on November 07, 2017, 09:08:06 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on November 07, 2017, 09:01:22 PM
This looks amazing Daniil!  I haven't seen anyone ask yet, but is a multi-threaded version planned for a future update?  Just curious.  ;)
Oops, sorry.  I was only in the beginning stages of the erosion process (watching my cores in Task Manager).  Looks like it is already multi-threaded!!!  Sweet!

Well, sampling stage is single-threaded at this moment, because I encountered some strange bugs when it is multi-threaded.
Good news that I've just fixed this, so in next update sampling stage will be multi-threaded too.

P. S. Thanks to all for your response. :)

Daniil

Classic Erosion v1.0.2 beta

Changes:

- Sampling stage is multi-threaded now;
- Added new parameter "Outer displacement offset" in "Render" tab;
- Added "Mask as thermal erosion strength" checkbox in "Thermal" tab;
- Progress window behaves better and should not disappear after few seconds;
- Some tweaks of Rivers mode and Banks map.

"Outer displacement offset" adds possibility to set displacement offset to outer terrain if outer terrain isn't rendered. If outer terrain is off and some landscape has negative altitude then eroded heightmap is rendered below outer terrain (which has zero altitude). It can be workarounded (by adding positive offset to original landscape), but this parameter may be more handy.

"Mask as thermal erosion strength" checkbox allows to state if mask is applied to thermal erosion. In previous veriosn mask applied to thermal erosion too, but selectively - only in "Mask as rock softness" and "Mask as erosion strength" modes.

Also build for Terragen 3 is available now.

Ariel DK

Quote from: blinkfrog on November 10, 2017, 08:44:42 AM
Classic Erosion v1.0.2 beta

(...)Also build for Terragen 3 is available now.

Thank you Daniil, your efforts and work are really much appreciated!
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

mhaze

Thank you, I've had a lot of fun with this already, it's an excellent and really useful plugin. I have bought and installed the erosion plugin, where can I download the update plugin from?

Daniil

I am sorry I didn't clarify that: you can download new version from the website, just press "Download free version" button, actually free and full versions are the same plugin, but full version is activated after registration. I plan to add dedicated "download" page later.

Daniil.

mhaze

bobbystahr

Quote from: blinkfrog on November 11, 2017, 05:31:11 AM
I am sorry I didn't clarify that: you can download new version from the website, just press "Download free version" button, actually free and full versions are the same plugin, but full version is activated after registration. I plan to add dedicated "download" page later.

Daniil.

having a problem there Daniil, AVAST thinks it's a trojan and won't allow download. Could you perhaps package it as a .zip or .rar to get around that. The first time I tricked AVAST and saves as to a memory stick but it won't work any more.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Daniil

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 11, 2017, 11:49:39 AM
having a problem there Daniil, AVAST thinks it's a trojan and won't allow download. Could you perhaps package it as a .zip or .rar to get around that. The first time I tricked AVAST and saves as to a memory stick but it won't work any more.

Thank you for the report. I'll add zip for downloading, probably tomorrow.
Is Avast really don't scan inside zip files? If it dislikes .exe, it probably blocks zip too.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

To prevent anti-virus software from scanning inside archive file types, you can simply encrypt the file with a simple password like "openme".

bobbystahr

Quote from: blinkfrog on November 11, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on November 11, 2017, 11:49:39 AM

Thank you for the report. I'll add zip for downloading, probably tomorrow.
Is Avast really don't scan inside zip files? If it dislikes .exe, it probably blocks zip too.

As we found out .zip worked fine, thanks for making the effort Daniil.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

QuoteAlso build for Terragen 3 is available now.

Thank you very much indeed.

cyphyr

Great work and thank you very much. Small nudge on the procedural development ... ;)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

luvsmuzik

I successfully downloaded and installed free version and updates, then after purchase my virus software then detected and deleted the exe and zip. I opened TG and entered my registration code and it works fine, but is everything unlocked? It seems to work fine, but now that I have river beds, where is the water? Maps enabled RGB.

Dune

You have to use the maps to mask a surface shader with a water shader as child.

Daniil

Quote from: luvsmuzik on November 26, 2017, 09:37:50 AM
I successfully downloaded and installed free version and updates, then after purchase my virus software then detected and deleted the exe and zip. I opened TG and entered my registration code and it works fine, but is everything unlocked? It seems to work fine, but now that I have river beds, where is the water? Maps enabled RGB.
As Ulco wrote, you can use maps: for example, you can add Surface layer, add Water shader and connect it to Surface layer's child input, then you need to extract Water depth map (if Water depth is in Blue channel, you need to use "blue to scalar" node). Note that watr depth output is expressed in meters, so if you want to use it just for texturing, you need to add "Color adjust" node and set "White point" to a very low value, say, 0.01 - so you will get fully white map at 1 cm depth. Then you can connect this map to "Mask" input of water shader to get water texture.

Note that water is fully opaque. To get transparent water you need to use more complex setup, I plan to write a tutorial how to do that. (In short: you need to add a plane, or better sphere - exact copy of the planet, then texture it using Water shader, and also displace original planet using Depth map to restore true river bed).

Daniil.