Classic Erosion plugin

Started by Daniil, November 03, 2017, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on March 27, 2018, 01:57:37 PM
WASasquatch,
Ah, ok. The word "rivers" distracted me.
To get deep cuts you need to use high values of Downcutting parameter. Hint: you can, and should use values higher, than 1.0, for example, 2.0, 4.0 or even 10.0 or 50.0. Deposition may look strange with these settings, to compensate this you can set high value of "Base level" parameter, I found that 0.4 from Downcutting is good, for example, Downcutting = 10, Base level = 4, but it requires more experimenting.
In the attached example I used these settings:
Duration = 0.2
Erosion strength = 1.0
Rock softness = 0.05 (to get thinner gullies and to change its distribution to emphasize the ones with more intensive flows)
Downcutting = 20
Base level = 8
Also I used quite aggressive thermal erosion here to make "walls" a bit more smooth and solid looking.

Daniil

P. S. I am pondering on making "Downcutting" parameter range wider, say, up to 10 or 20, and to make it non-linear and weighted towards lower values. It won't affect the behaviour and old projects compatibility, but will make using higher values easier. Possibly the same for Base level parameter.

P. P. S. Possibly I am wrong about  such high values of Base level. It requires experimenting, possibly it is better to start with 1.0, and then try higher values.
Great example of settings and explanation. Going to give some tests today.

Daniil

Quote from: WASasquatch
Great example of settings and explanation. Going to give some tests today.

Hm. Possibly this was not very good example. I did some tests, and discovered, that if I set Downcutting to zero, result is still very similar. High value of Base level compensates Downcutting effect (I wrote that this requires more experimenting) and cuts are very similar. With downcutting they are just placed further in rock towards the mountain.

It's the shape of uneroded mountain that gives gullies this look, more specifically, this abrupt step: ¯\_. Erosive flows smoothen this step, generating deep gully even without downcutting. Downcutting just emphasises this effect, but it is important to set proper values of Downcutting and Base level.

Rock softness, Duration, Erosion strength (and Scale too) are responsible for the gullies shape.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Can I get some direction on how to create this kind of erosion:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=23759.0;attach=76886;image

There are a lot of nice example of what Classic Erosion is capable of, but still no User Manual.  It would have been nice to get some example scenes along with a purchase of Classic Erosion.  Maybe it's not too late to provide some so we can learn some techniques to reproduce what was shown to market CE.  ;)

Derek

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 30, 2018, 10:50:50 PM
Can I get some direction on how to create this kind of erosion:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=23759.0;attach=76886;image

There are a lot of nice example of what Classic Erosion is capable of, but still no User Manual.  It would have been nice to get some example scenes along with a purchase of Classic Erosion.  Maybe it's not too late to provide some so we can learn some techniques to reproduce what was shown to market CE.  ;)

Derek

I've wanted to create similar for canyons. It seems like a basic SSS cut in the terrain and all Classic Erosion but I'm not positive about that at all. Perhaps a strata underneath?

Dune

Martin did that one, and I think he used strata indeed and several 'iterations' of the erosion shader with quite high resolution settings.

Daniil

I am working on user manual, but it still isn't ready, sorry for this.
As for .tgd-sources for pictures, I can't upload these as the most pictures (those that are the most impressive) aren't mine, they are created by very talented Terragen artists, namely Ulco and Martin. That canyon scene was created and rendered by Martin.

I can share my canyon, but it is quite mediocre, I am a poor artist.
I've attached .tgd scene and two renders (without and with thermal erosion).

I used powerfractal, fractal warp shader, strata shader, small powerfractal, one erosion layer and strata shader after it. As far as I know Martin used two erosion layers and also added powerfractal after erosion shaders for some additional details.

Daniil

bobbystahr

Thanks for the demo scene Daniil, will study this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Thanks Daniil!  That's just what I needed!!!  :)

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on May 02, 2018, 01:27:23 PM
I am working on user manual, but it still isn't ready, sorry for this.
As for .tgd-sources for pictures, I can't upload these as the most pictures (those that are the most impressive) aren't mine, they are created by very talented Terragen artists, namely Ulco and Martin. That canyon scene was created and rendered by Martin.

I can share my canyon, but it is quite mediocre, I am a poor artist.
I've attached .tgd scene and two renders (without and with thermal erosion).

I used powerfractal, fractal warp shader, strata shader, small powerfractal, one erosion layer and strata shader after it. As far as I know Martin used two erosion layers and also added powerfractal after erosion shaders for some additional details.

Daniil

Thanks a lot Danill. I think us lowly artists were hoping to unlock the secrets of this look. It still looks rather impressive.

Daniil

Forgot to add, in this scene with erosion parameters that set quite gentle, landscape influences final terrain much more than erosion, so creating proper uneroded landscape is possibly more important task than tuning the erosion.

Daniil

WAS

Hey Daniil, my fiancee went ahead and got my your plugin to use, though we are both a bit confused. We made a purchase, which in itself should be verification, but they want to have a phone call? Lol  But they do not give any directions, nor any call. But it is late, I imagine they are definitely closed. Just find it confusing. I tried calling the number in the email, but it was just a helpdesk number for support or request support.

I guess I'll call support in the morning if I don't get a random call. Hopefully I'm awake. Lol What a intrusive payment service. First I've seen like this.

Update: They called. Confirmed payment for the plugin, and questions my fiancee's relationship to me lol

Daniil

Quote from: WASasquatch on May 10, 2018, 02:24:35 AM
What a intrusive payment service. First I've seen like this.
Update: They called. Confirmed payment for the plugin, and questions my fiancee's relationship to me lol
Sorry for this. I glad that all is ok now. In the most cases there is no problems with PPG, but, it seems, they can do additional checks for payments that they think are "suspicious" to minimize fraud. AFAIK sometimes they can do it for some silly reasons like using "free" mail services like "mail.com".

Edit: Yes, as I can see in the transaction details, they indeed marked this transaction as "slightly risky" because of using free mail service. 

Daniil

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on May 10, 2018, 02:41:52 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on May 10, 2018, 02:24:35 AM
What a intrusive payment service. First I've seen like this.
Sorry for this. I glad that all is ok now. In the most cases there is no problems with PPG, but, it seems, they can do additional checks for payments that they think are "suspicious" to minimize fraud. AFAIK sometimes they can do it for some silly reasons like using "free" mail services like "mail.com".

You'd hope they wouldn't flag emails backed by google. It was probably because my me and my fiancee aren't married and have different last names. Though you'd think gifts would be common.

Thanks for the hard work into this plugin, about to check out these high res maps.

Update: I am glad Windows 10 is good at handling ram overflow to vram. Lol

WAS

Feature Request: Ability to save and load maps from HDD.

Even just the saving feature to TIFF would be nice, as you can only output 3 channels, but could utilize more. Even from different types of erosions based on the same terrain not present just for colouring or what have you.