Classic Erosion plugin

Started by Daniil, November 03, 2017, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Thank you both, I hate to say this stuff is starting to make sense....

Daniil

Merry Christmas!

I have some interesting features in development, but I think I'll defer adding them into the next update of Classic Erosion shader (there is some more work needed). But I want to release smaller update with bugfixes and masking mechanics fix at least, so I want to ask users of my plugin about this fix.

At this time masking by Surface layer of Distribution shader works, but it is inconsistent with other TG shaders and works different to them. It takes normal and terrain from Mask input branch, so, if you want to mask it by some slope or altitude selection, you need to:
1. Connect Distribution shader or surface layer to the Mask input.
2. Connect current terrain to Distribution shader.
3. (Optional for some cases) add Compute normal/terrain between the terrain and Distribution shader.
See the pic:
[attachimg=1]

I fixed masking and now it works similar to other TG shaders. You just need to:
1. Connect Distribution shader or surface layer to the Mask input.
2. (Optional for some cases) add Compute normal/terrain between the terrain and Classic Erosion shader.
So the normal/displacement is now taken from the main branch.
See the pic:
[attachimg=2]

(BTW this method has some disadvantages - distribution shader's preview doesn't work correctly. At least for me)

I think I should apply this fix in the next update, but it might requre some reconnecting in already existing projects. That is why I ask: what do you think?

Also I can apply the same fix for the Procedural Erosion.

Daniil.

bobbystahr

Merry Christmas on Boxing day from me as well...I'd have to say move forward as for me there's nothing I've made with Classic so far that couldn't be better with an improved plug in...
If you're using the free version how does one find out about updates by the way?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

Hi Danii,

I hope you have had an excellent Christmas.  I have two requests.  If it is at all possible, .bmp output of the maps for external, to TG, editing and a way to soften the edges of map output.

Keep up the excellent work.

Mick

Daniil

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 26, 2017, 11:08:30 AM
If you're using the free version how does one find out about updates by the way?

Free version is actually the same as full, downloadable at https://daniilkamperov.com/downloads/.

Quote from: mhaze
I have two requests.  If it is at all possible, .bmp output of the maps for external, to TG, editing and a way to soften the edges of map output.

.bmp export is possible, I thought about it. Although some things must be thought through.
About edges - what do you mean? Boundary edges? Or the edges of features?

Daniil.

mhaze

Edges of say a flow map.  They can be very hard when using them as masks for veg and fake stones.

ajcgi

This looks like marvellous progress Daniil. Super excited to try this out soon, hopefully in production.

René

I am happy to hear that there will be an osx version. :D

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Hi Daniil,

Just wondering if any updates are coming soon.  Is the manual coming along?

Derek

Also there seems to be a bug with the Classic Erosion node.  When you disconnect it in the Node Network View TG4 consistently crashes.  So you have to constantly be very careful about how you are connecting the erosion node (very frustrating when experimenting).

luvsmuzik

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on March 13, 2018, 09:45:55 PM
Also there seems to be a bug with the Classic Erosion node.  When you disconnect it in the Node Network View TG4 consistently crashes.  So you have to constantly be very careful about how you are connecting the erosion node (very frustrating when experimenting).

I have paid version and it had an update that fixed that....check you download and see if it is current?

I have the latest version from here:  https://daniilkamperov.com/downloads/#classic-erosion which is 1.0.2 beta.

Is there something newer, or a patch?  If an email went out I maybe have missed it.

Derek

Daniil

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on March 13, 2018, 09:45:55 PM
Hello Derek,
Sorry for delay, I haven't had any time last weeks. I don't remember exactly, I think I've fixed this bug in the last unreleased build. I'll try to release a public build with this and some other fixes this week.
Daniil

Daniil

Hello,

here is 1.0.4 beta for TG4:
https://daniilkamperov.com/downloads/#classic-erosion

TG3-version is still 1.0.2, I'll update it later. If someone wants to help me with testing TG3-version, please email me (support@daniilkamperov.com).

Changes include multiple bugfixes and new masking behavior, described here.
Now displacement for mask input is evaluated using main nodes branch (nodes connected to main CE-shader input), and not the mask nodes branch. Some older projects may require a little reconnecting. I could add a switch to select the masking behaviour, but I think it is better to always stay consistent to other Terragen nodes.

Daniil

bobbystahr

thanks very much...off to install it across the room.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist