Classic Erosion plugin

Started by Daniil, November 03, 2017, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Quote from: blinkfrog on May 29, 2018, 03:20:29 PM
Classic Erosion v1.0.5

- Fixed bug that caused crashes on eroding start and in some other occasions
- Fixed bug that led to incorrect displaying of wear map and deposition map after erosion datafile reading
- Minor fixes

https://daniilkamperov.com/downloads/#classic-erosion

Daniil

Getting a code 5 error message when I try to install this update.  :( Classic Purchased/ TG4 Creative/Win10
I did have to do the usual runaround with Windows Defender....run anyway...

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on May 30, 2018, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: blinkfrog on May 29, 2018, 03:20:29 PM
Classic Erosion v1.0.5

- Fixed bug that caused crashes on eroding start and in some other occasions
- Fixed bug that led to incorrect displaying of wear map and deposition map after erosion datafile reading
- Minor fixes

https://daniilkamperov.com/downloads/#classic-erosion

Daniil

Getting a code 5 error message when I try to install this update.  :( Classic Purchased/ TG4 Creative/Win10
I did have to do the usual runaround with Windows Defender....run anyway...

Error Code 5 means your system has blocked the executable, because the credentials supplied by your account were not sufficient.

Right click, head to properties, and check "Unblock"

It's not an officially digitally signed file, so windows will always complain or block it with UAC enabled.

Daniil

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on May 30, 2018, 12:23:23 AM
I have never used the other two maps (Streamline Map, and Water Depth Map).  Do those get saved in the .erd file as well?  How do you use those?
Streamline map is saved too, Water Depth is saved only for terrains built in "Rivers mode".
Streamline can be useful if you need to show stream lines in water flows. Just flowmap is not always good for it as it shows amount of water flowed and can't display fine stream lines. Note that you possibly need to turn "Laminar flow" on for less chaotic streamline map, and probably multiply this map by deposition map or by clamped flowmap to display streamlines where they are needed.

Daniil

WAS

I discovered some odd behavior.

Basically I had a "river" mask, which was piped into some displacement. I inserted this before the erosion shader, as I wanted to see how the river bed eroded with the rest will look. It unfortunately pushed the rivers banks up into peaks in some spots so I decided it would be best to move the displacement below the erosion shader. I cut the shaders, and pasted them (causing TG to automatically snap in the fractal warp shader and terrain shader to snap into the input of the erosion shader automatically), moving them below the erosion shader and than hit "Erode". It sampled, and eroded, but the river erosion remained. Clicking erode again did nothing, it felt there was no change. I had to go into my base displacement PF and change my minimum scale to 0.01 from 0.1 in order for the erosion shader to pickup a change and re-erode, without the river mask involved.

Edit: Additionally, will there be improvements to the river mode? Like a "Alpine River mode" that utilizes Laminar Flows and connects them with river systems in the plains?  I've been trying to create alpines like here in Washington State where there are thousands of creeks and streams on our mountains that feed rivers in the valleys, but the river mode seems to favor large intersections for rivers, and don't correspond to erosion that well. See my post about rivers. I tried using two erosion, and a single with SSS and it looks odd.

For referance, see how  the mountains here appear very much like erosion with laminar flows, but the flows all link to rivers in the gullies, which are a bit hard to see due to dense coverage but yeah, you can't walk down that highway without a creek/stream on your left to view every couple minutes. (for some reason it keeps changing the location and is not where I set it, but explore the mountain loop pass there): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Monte+Cristo+Trail,+Granite+Falls,+WA+98252/@48.0175741,-121.4458161,779m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sMountain+Loop+Highway+aerial!3m4!1s0x549ac454f42ea135:0x5b9e6c1717613c58!8m2!3d48.0175741!4d-121.4436274

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

One quick note.  I have noticed that sometimes if you make some changes and try to erode again and nothing happens, it seems to help to change the erosion resolution down and then erode, then change it back to your desired higher resolution and erode again.  For example, if your doing erosions at the max of 16,384 and the described behavior happens try turning down your resolution to 4096, or even 1024 and erode.  Then when you turn it back up to 16,384 it seems to erode as expected.  I'm not sure of there is some sort of cache that gets cleared or something, but I have had to do that sometimes to get my erosions to update when making changes, such as changing the area size of the erosion.

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on June 01, 2018, 09:23:51 PM
One quick note.  I have noticed that sometimes if you make some changes and try to erode again and nothing happens, it seems to help to change the erosion resolution down and then erode, then change it back to your desired higher resolution and erode again.  For example, if your doing erosions at the max of 16,384 and the described behavior happens try turning down your resolution to 4096, or even 1024 and erode.  Then when you turn it back up to 16,384 it seems to erode as expected.  I'm not sure of there is some sort of cache that gets cleared or something, but I have had to do that sometimes to get my erosions to update when making changes, such as changing the area size of the erosion.

As a note to your note, changing erosion resolution will reerode, but not resample.

WAS

Been having issues entering "Rivers Mode" where the plugin simply doesn't respond. It will change the functions available (graying out incompatible functions) but it will not switch over the maps, nor actually erode in rivers.

Additionally, if you "cut" a Classic Erosion from another file and paste it into your current file, to save on adjusting settings, the CE will produce a very super smooth erosion without detail.

Daniil

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 13, 2018, 04:35:55 PM
Been having issues entering "Rivers Mode" where the plugin simply doesn't respond. It will change the functions available (graying out incompatible functions) but it will not switch over the maps, nor actually erode in rivers.

Additionally, if you "cut" a Classic Erosion from another file and paste it into your current file, to save on adjusting settings, the CE will produce a very super smooth erosion without detail.
Thank you for the report, I'll look into the problem.

Daniil

Mid-Knight Acchan

https://www65.atwiki.jp/terragen/pages/144.html

This site is made without permission.
I am glad if you give me permission.

And.. Japanese only... :P
Use google!

I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

Daniil

Unfortunately I can't reproduce these problems. Could you please describe the exact sequence of actions leading to these problems?

Daniil

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on June 26, 2018, 12:54:37 PM
Unfortunately I can't reproduce these problems. Could you please describe the exact sequence of actions leading to these problems?

Daniil

Rivers mode issue seemed to be isolated to a single event, or glitch, as I've not had the issue again. In fact, re-opening that file and it was fine and eroded fine.

The cut issue I'm not sure how else to phrase it. I cut your example erosion shader for the canyons and pasted it in another project. That shader only produced super smooth round shapes, no detail. Wondering if it was a incompatibility with the shader being set with a previous version of the plugin, and than cut and pasted into a project and eroded with wrong settings or something. Perhaps the plugin should scan over all erosion shaders upon starting a project and update them if that is the issue. As well as any pasted shader.

Daniil

Quote from: Mid-Knight Acchan on June 14, 2018, 03:08:11 AM
Use google!

Hello, sorry for long reply.
I can't load this website, it says: "The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. ".

As far as I remember someone (possibly it was you?) already asked me for a permission to take text and images for this site https://www65.atwiki.jp/terragen/pages/144.html from my webpage. The answer is still the same: you can take any text and some images - those that aren't subscribed as "Image courtesy by Ulco Glimmerveen" and "Image courtesy by Martin Huisman" - for these pictures you need to ask their authours for permission.

Daniil

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on June 26, 2018, 01:06:59 PM
Quote from: Mid-Knight Acchan on June 14, 2018, 03:08:11 AM
Use google!

Hello, sorry for long reply.
I can't load this website, it says: "The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country. ".

As far as I remember someone (possibly it was you?) already asked me for a permission to take text and images for this site https://www65.atwiki.jp/terragen/pages/144.html from my webpage. The answer is still the same: you can take any text and some images - those that aren't subscribed as "Image courtesy by Ulco Glimmerveen" and "Image courtesy by Martin Huisman" - for these pictures you need to ask their authours for permission.

Daniil

Here is the website page for review, Daniil.

Daniil

Classic Erosion v1.0.6

- Added maps export (this feature was requested several times)
- Fixed bug in the Rivers mode that led to strange points in flowmap and some strange pits

Maps are exported into .png-files. You specify the folder and general name for maps, and they are exported into multiple single-channel grayscale 16-bit pngs (except for streamline map which is exported to 8-bit) - this is a good compromise between size and quality and preserves the dynamic range of maps so you can adjust white and black points or dynamic curve in the graphic editor. See attached images - I used GIMP to modify original flowmap (0.png) to two variants.

As for final filenames - they are generated automatically. For example, if you specify "abc" as filename, it results in several files: "abc.flow.png", "abc.deposition.png", "abc.wear.png" etc.

Daniil