Classic Erosion plugin

Started by Daniil, November 03, 2017, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Maybe that's just because it takes up so many resources that other stuff is stalled.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 31, 2018, 02:45:44 AM
Maybe that's just because it takes up so many resources that other stuff is stalled.

Yeah that's what I assume, as another instance will be slower, but specifically another DK::CE instance is unworkable. As soon as anything is edited the windows just becomes unresponsive, but not not responding (so you can X out of the window still - after much delay)

I had the idea of using two instances of a scene, one in very low resolution for small changes that I could carry over to the other scene to see in better resolution, while still working on the main bits of the scene in the other. Probably not the best idea in general.

Oshyan

As Ulco said, this is probably just because the erosion node is one of the heavier nodes to calculate, and thus is using up a lot of resources whenever you make a change.

- Oshyan

WAS

I'm trying to figure out if the plugins resources are shared, as this is more exclusive to the node itself between instances, where I can go about editing everything else in another instance while another is sampling/eroding. While yes, inhibited by the CPU being slow, but specifically, a second instance of the DK::CE plugin becomes unresponsive trying to make any changes, where the TG instance itself is usable and can work in it (albeit slowly). This isn't even attempting a second erosion, simply changing settings in another instance of the plugin in another instance of TG.

Probably more a question for Daniil.

Also wondering if Original hf details are included in the erosion as scalar data or more a masked overlay from original shaders/hf?

Oshyan

I doubt the resources are shared, not even sure how they could be, but maybe. Is the preview paused in both instances while you're testing that? If not, it's probably just the preview of the 2nd one having a more demanding calculation for updating (the erosion) vs. any other calculation it might do to update the preview if you change a non-erosion setting.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on October 31, 2018, 07:28:20 PM
I doubt the resources are shared, not even sure how they could be, but maybe. Is the preview paused in both instances while you're testing that? If not, it's probably just the preview of the 2nd one having a more demanding calculation for updating (the erosion) vs. any other calculation it might do to update the preview if you change a non-erosion setting.

- Oshyan

That's a good point Oshyan, I do have the preview active, I guess in the first one it is sorta paused in the sense DK::CE freezes TG while Sampling/Eroding.

WAS

I'm having issues with the flow maps. They're not representative of the scalar data. They're incredibly dark, so when you go to use a colour adjust on them there is colour burning (falloff effect) from details that went to absolute black.

Also the blending borders mode seems to creating lines for some reason as well.

Additionally, sometimes there is no deposition map at all with erosion? Have encountered this a few times, even on extreme displacements, and not sure why.

Thanks for any help, Daniil

Matt

The border blending issue can be fixed by unchecking "stitchable border". It's intended for tiling DEMs, but is enabled by default (maybe not a good thing).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

WAS

Quote from: Matt on November 02, 2018, 09:16:31 PM
The border blending issue can be fixed by unchecking "stitchable border". It's intended for tiling DEMs, but is enabled by default (maybe not a good thing).

This is regarding Daniil's Classic Erosion, there is no stitchable border setting It's just border blending, which according to docs just blends out the border of the heightmap. Not sure how you'd handle DEM's in his plugin considering it's proprietary.

Off topicly though, I'd love to see an actual DEM example. I download all of our region here, Mt St. Helens to Mt Baker with Mt. Rainier inbetween, however, the borders are solid, and the stitchable setting by default looks like garbage and had 1000x better results manually positioning and blending the borders together.

Matt

Oh, I thought it was the Heightfield Shader for some reason. I should have known you meant Classic Erosion.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Daniil

Hello,
thank you for reports.

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 30, 2018, 03:18:32 PM
I noticed something a little interesting, when one TG instance is eroding, another TG instance will have a un-editable (super slow/frozen) plugin instance. Are they somehow tied to the same resources? Everything else in the second TG instance works besides the DK:CE plugin while the other is eroding. The window will open, but changing anything causes the plugin itself to freeze (not a not responding freeze though), for example clicking a checkbox will highlight the checkbox, but it wouldn't "check" until the erosion in the other TG instance was finished.
Edit: Doing some extra testing, it seems I can get "one" change out of the second instance of the plugin before it than locks up until the other is done processing.

This is interesting obsevation. Right now I can't presume possible reasons for that, but I'll think about it. Early versions of Procedural erosion had some interesting behaviour - defferent instances could affect each other - because of my old memory pool, it was declared as "static", so different instances actually used the same pool (but not the same memory). But I don't have any similar things in Classic Erosion (and modern Procedural Erosion is free of this bug too).

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 02, 2018, 08:54:14 PM
I'm having issues with the flow maps. They're not representative of the scalar data. They're incredibly dark, so when you go to use a colour adjust on them there is colour burning (falloff effect) from details that went to absolute black.
Additionally, sometimes there is no deposition map at all with erosion? Have encountered this a few times, even on extreme displacements, and not sure why.

Hm. This sounds similar to some already fixed bugs. Possibly you are using old version? Please try the latest version and see if you have any problems.

Daniil

WAS

Quote from: blinkfrog on November 11, 2018, 03:33:20 PM
Hello,
thank you for reports.

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 30, 2018, 03:18:32 PM
I noticed something a little interesting, when one TG instance is eroding, another TG instance will have a un-editable (super slow/frozen) plugin instance. Are they somehow tied to the same resources? Everything else in the second TG instance works besides the DK:CE plugin while the other is eroding. The window will open, but changing anything causes the plugin itself to freeze (not a not responding freeze though), for example clicking a checkbox will highlight the checkbox, but it wouldn't "check" until the erosion in the other TG instance was finished.
Edit: Doing some extra testing, it seems I can get "one" change out of the second instance of the plugin before it than locks up until the other is done processing.

This is interesting obsevation. Right now I can't presume possible reasons for that, but I'll think about it. Early versions of Procedural erosion had some interesting behaviour - defferent instances could affect each other - because of my old memory pool, it was declared as "static", so different instances actually used the same pool (but not the same memory). But I don't have any similar things in Classic Erosion (and modern Procedural Erosion is free of this bug too).

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 02, 2018, 08:54:14 PM

Hm. This sounds similar to some already fixed bugs. Possibly you are using old version? Please try the latest version and see if you have any problems.

Daniil

Oh no! I thought i upgraded when things were figured out from the last release. I'll try and grab another and see if that resolves the issues.

As for the odd behavior, I'm not sure. I just stopped using another instance of TG with erosion. I noted too it was odd, though, even when you start a new instance of TG, before it even starts, the Classic Erosion window, and progress window, will pop-up over the Terragen 4 Splash (freeware version) which asks if you want to use the freeware version or activate a license. Depending on what point the erosion is at, the windows can be unresponsive (but not forzen) and won't let the splash overlay over them.

Daniil

Classic Erosion v1.1.1
Multiple small changes, most notable:

1. Some old bugs fixed. These are important fixes as they degraded erosion quality. These bugs were added accidentally while working on rivers, so early CE versions (before rivers) had better quality.

2. Two hidden parameters are revealed. First (it is called "Retardation of downcutting", but this is too long for GUI, so it is "Downcutting retardation" in GUI) controls downcutting behavior - slows down erosive flows at some places, effectively preventing downcutting. I added this mechanics just after initial CE release and hesitated about adding a parameter, controlling this mechanics, as there are already two parameters for downcutting, but finally I decided to add this. And the second is "Talus settling" in thermal erosion.

3. Added built-in check for updates (may be blocked by firewalls).

4. Added option to turn normalization off for deposition and wear maps. In this case it's outputs are in meters, so you can adjust while and black points in meters, and they aren't dependent on maximum values of these maps (very useful if you try to animate thermal erosion).

5. Classic Erosion now works correctly if Terragen is started without GUI (from command prompt). Also it should work on Pixel Plow farm. Important note! Currently it works on Pixel Plow only if erosion cache (.erd) file is provided, so you should precalculate it on your machine and upload with your project. Don't forget to turn "Read erosion data on project loading" parameter on (although possibly you can do it in Pixel Plow already, or may be it is overrided there).

Daniil

Daniil

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 11, 2018, 03:46:14 PM
Oh no! I thought i upgraded when things were figured out from the last release. I'll try and grab another and see if that resolves the issues.

Check the new one. :D

Daniil