web templates html5 gallery

Started by Dune, November 03, 2017, 06:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'm having trouble with my Flash based site (www.ulco-art.nl), so I need to make a new one. Flash will be outdated one of these days, and it seems it's already not working as it should (pages flashing by without stop).
I prefer making one myself, but HTML5 is not my forte (Flash was), so if someone has any ideas, like templates or where to look for info, I'd be happy to hear.
I need one or more pages of a gallery kind of display, for 3D work and 'ordinary' artwork.

cyphyr

Take a look at Artisteer. Very easy to use, very template driven but you can dig right to the bottom of the templates and re-make them from the ground up. Works with HTML5 and a bunch of popular blog formats ...
Cheap too.
I'll be using it when I get around to updating my site (soon hopefully)
http://www.artisteer.com/?p=purchase
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Upon Infinity

I'd check out wordpress.  And then choose one of the themes designed for portfolios.

Dune

Thanks. I saw that company indeed. Nice stuff. I'm trying to learn how Modal, Lightbox, JQuery, and CSS stuff (etc) all works, and put something together myself. I've got time....

Oshyan

Why do all that work yourself Ulco? Do you just want something really custom? I think you will run into more issues that way because it's not just initial development time but also maintenance. What if a security issue shows up in one of the things you use (such as jquery), or even in your own code? In the first case, you will have to update the library (if you even find out about it), and that may cause other things to not work the same - it can become a chain of things needing update/fixes. In the second case (problem in your own code) you may not even know there is an issue until your site is compromised. Unless you have really good reason and need to dive into coding a site yourself I really think it's best just to use something "off the shelf". Wordpress with a nice, affordable (or free) template is good, as is Weebly, Wix, and Squarespace (all paid services that can use your custom domain).

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks for your input, Oshyan. You are probably right, but I'm a bit of a nerd in that sense, like to do it all myself, knowing how it works, etc. Built my Flash site as well from scratch. But the updating of code is worrysome indeed.

Upon Infinity

No offense, but I think you're in over your head.  Not that I think you can't do it, of course, but that it will take a level of commitment that would be on par with a change in careers.  Web-design (coding), at this point, is a specialized discipline.  I had to make the same decision myself.  Do I want to be an artist, or a web designer.  I choose artist.  Sure, I could learn to code my own site, but only at the expense of many months of my time that could otherwise be spent on other, more beneficial endeavors.  Even with no monetary expense, it just wasn't worth the cost-benefit ratio unless I was going to design custom sites as a side business.

For the record, I still recommend wordpress if you want to tinker with code.  You can create a child theme and alter it to your heart's content without trashing your whole site (although you may still trash your whole site).

No matter what path you choose, give us some updates as you progress.  :)

Oshyan

Yes, I think this is a bit like saying "Well of course I could buy a car from a car manufacturer, but I'm a bit of a geek so I prefer to make my own." There are people who love to do that and have the passion and time to do so and to maintain the thing themselves. But unless you really have a passion for web development as a hobby at least, if not a career, then I agree that we're in an age where using an off-the-shelf system is highly valuable and time saving, *and* still gives you plenty of flexibility and the option to "dig into the code" (CSS, PHP, Javascript, or HTML, depending) when you want to.

- Oshyan

Dune

Quite convinced. I like your analogies, and to be honest; I've been thinking/trying my head off to get certain things to work, and that's only a tiny part yet (I got some wheels to roll  :D, but the chassis is miles away). 
Thanks for your concerns, guys, much appreciated.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I like using Drag and Drop Wordpress themes.  I was using Pagelines for awhile and liked it, but there are many others to chose from.  Here is a good list:
https://www.codeinwp.com/blog/best-drag-and-drop-theme-builders/

If your hosting provider supports automated Wordpress Installs it is super easy.  GoDaddy & Bluehost come to mind.

Dune

Thanks Derek. Actually I found out that my site host has Wordpress in its features. I can install from within.

jaf

Hey Dune, it sounds like jumping in to Terragen's SDK may be a challenge you would like! ;D
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune