Classic Erosion - quick parameters reference guide

Started by Daniil, November 05, 2017, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

I already mentioned a trick allowing to imitate orographic precipitation. Here is simpler version: you can literally focus precipitation to a certain spot using Simple Shape shader.

Here is a scene where this trick (Simple Shape shader as a precipitation mask) is used to get nice volcano. The real physics behind this is next: imagine high stratovolcano mountain near ocean. There is a big amount of wet air, that is constantly condensed on a cold top of this mountain (just like an air conditioner gathers water from the air) in a form of rain or snow (which is melted by sun). This results in a prominent erosion of mountain sides.

This is my old scene, just a bit modified to look better at 1024 resolution (so it is compatible with a free version of Classic Erosion). Sample pic is got using 1024 resolution too.
You can use higher Erosion scale to get more dramatic and "mountain" look. Parameters also can be modified to use erosion without mask trick.

Daniil

jackblack

""Render water surface" - renders surface of water in Rivers mode. Note that this surface is still opaque, to render transparent water surface you need to add additional layer of water and to use "Water depth" map to restore original river bed. I'll show later how to do it."
How is this done?

gao_jian11

When is the complete classic erosion user manual coming?

bobbystahr

Quote from: jackblack on December 04, 2018, 01:26:38 AM
""Render water surface" - renders surface of water in Rivers mode. Note that this surface is still opaque, to render transparent water surface you need to add additional layer of water and to use "Water depth" map to restore original river bed. I'll show later how to do it."
How is this done?

Echo
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Daniil

Quote from: jackblack on December 04, 2018, 01:26:38 AM
How is this done?

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 04, 2018, 08:43:52 PM
Echo

In short, you need to add additional spherical object having exactly the same position and size as main planet. Use Water depth map as opacity mask - this forces this sphere to be rendered only where real water is, this greatly improves render time. Use Surface layer with Water shader as child layer to render this sphere. You need to enable "Render water surface". To ged river bed you need to "restore" actual river bed by displacing flat water surface by "Water depth" map.

This should work. In fact, this works, but with problems. This is why I delayed explanation - I hoped to figure what's wrong in this scheme. Sometimes where are multiple bright green sparks in the scene. I remember I created simple scene with simple river to upload here, but it was all in green sparks. It seems this depends on camera position and direction.
Here I attached other scene, in the most cases it is rendered ok, but sometimes the sparks are still there.
If someone finds what's wrong here, I'll be very grateful.

This scene is designed for 2048 resolution (my favorite resolution for rivers; higher resolution isn't needed usually if "Render HF details" is enabled"; but this scene can be loaded to free version - resolution is reset to 1024 then.

Quote from: gao_jian11 on December 04, 2018, 07:14:50 AM
When is the complete classic erosion user manual coming?
I am still slowly working on it, please excuse me for long delay. For now please ask me without hesitation if something isn't clear - here in forum, via PM or email, I'll provide detail explanation, possibly with .tgd files.

Daniil

bobbystahr

Thanks very much for the explanation and the demo scene...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

gao_jian11

Thank you for your document. I saw the "bright green sparks" that you said. It seems to be related to reflection. I have not found a solution.

Njen

I just paid for the commercial version, and I'm having an issue where if I have generated an .and file, and set the node to automatically load it on Terragen file open, nothing automatically loads.

Njen

I think I know what the issue is, when I reopen the Terragen file, the 'Read now' path is blank. Maybe that node is not saving the string variable for that value?

Njen

Any chance that this can be looked into? Because as it stands, the paid license I have is practically useless for rendering on a render farm.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: Njen on January 20, 2019, 02:40:07 PM
Any chance that this can be looked into? Because as it stands, the paid license I have is practically useless for rendering on a render farm.

Have you tried contacting Daniil by email?
support@daniilkamperov.com

I have observed what you say about the erosion data load path being blank when loading a Terragen scene too, but my erosion files seemed to still be loaded when I checked the various map outputs.  If your not using the maps feature I wonder if there is a loading bug.  Are you eroding with Maps turned on, and then saving out the resulting erosion data?  If not, I would try using maps, so you can more easily verify if the erosion data is being loaded.

[attachimg=1]

If you need to know how to hook up the resulting map data to verify if erosion data is loaded or not you can use this tgd setup:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23764.msg240254.html#msg240254

Hope that helps,

Derek

Njen

I had 'Enable maps' turned on. I guess I will have to email him then, thanks for the address.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Njen,

There is a new version that just was released that should fix the issues you were experiencing.

-Derek

surrealdan

Thought I would ask here. But does anyone have problems with the erosion when re-opening a file? I opened up a file with a DEM terrain I eroded, and saved the erosion file as well. Then it wasn't there the next day. Is the erosion baked? Or do I have to re-erode everytime? Thanks for any help!
i7-3770k 4-core @3.5Ghz, 32gb
2x Xeon E5-2697 18-core @2.8Ghz , 128gb

Daniil

Quote from: surrealdan on March 13, 2019, 06:28:34 PM
Thought I would ask here. But does anyone have problems with the erosion when re-opening a file? I opened up a file with a DEM terrain I eroded, and saved the erosion file as well. Then it wasn't there the next day. Is the erosion baked? Or do I have to re-erode everytime? Thanks for any help!

Hello,
this bug should be fixed in the last version (1.1.3). Please check if you have the latest version installed. If you are using the latest version and still can't load saved .erd, please email me (support@daniilkamperov.com).

Daniil