More Mixamo fun

Started by Hannes, November 08, 2017, 09:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Here is something completely meaningless. I found a funny model (Cadnav, as far as I remember), reworked the shaders, put it into Mixamo, created a twenty frames object sequence and put it into TG.
Tried some more things: footprints masked by an animated SSS, one animated cloudlayer per print for the dust puffs etc.

Dune

Awesome! Must have been quite a job to synchronize the footsteps and feet...

So, if you import some character at Mixamo, you get a sequence of objects?

KyL

wait what? I see deformation motion blur on the character? Did you add that in post?

Oshyan

Wow, impressive result.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Kewel. OK...  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Dune on November 08, 2017, 12:45:40 PM
Awesome! Must have been quite a job to synchronize the footsteps and feet...
So, if you import some character at Mixamo, you get a sequence of objects?

Thanks, Ulco. Unfortunately Mixamo doesn't give you an object sequence, but an FBX that contains the mesh, some bone structure and the animation you chose. When you open that in 3ds Max for example, you have exactly what you had in Mixamo, but in one file. To get an object sequence I had to use a script, that does exactly this.
So to get the footsteps in place I created simple ellipsoid objects in 3ds Max exactly where the feet touched the ground and exported these as one object as a helper. Since the mesh of the guy and the footsteps object matched perfectly together I could temporarily disable the running guy, create an orthogonal camera, rendered an above view of the footsteps object (with a bright white luminous shader assigned to it and the rest of the scene black without any lighting) and used the result as a displacement map for the sand by creating an image map shader set to "through camera" using the same orthogonal camera as some sort of projection. I then used an animated simple shape shader as a mask to make only those footsteps visible, where the guy had already been running.
I could also use this footsteps mesh as an orientation, where the cloud puffs should be.
So, yes, quite a job...  ;)

Quote from: KyL on November 08, 2017, 03:52:28 PM
wait what? I see deformation motion blur on the character? Did you add that in post?

Yes, I did. Too bad that there is no object motion blur in TG (YET!!!!)

Quote from: Oshyan on November 08, 2017, 06:05:18 PM
Wow, impressive result.

- Oshyan

Thanks!!!!!!

Dune

Thanks, Hannes. That is very smart! I know I am in good company here  :P

otakar

Love what Mixamo gives you, but is there a free tool where you can open the FBX and isolate a frame and then export that as an object? All I want now is a static object in the right pose.

Pretty cool stuff you are showing here, Hannes.

KyL

Awesome. Stunning result!

Ariel DK

Quote from: Hannes on November 09, 2017, 12:56:54 AM
Kewel. OK...  ;D ;D ;D

...So to get the footsteps in place I created simple ellipsoid objects in 3ds Max exactly where the feet touched the ground and exported these as one object as a helper. Since the mesh of the guy and the footsteps object matched perfectly together I could temporarily disable the running guy, create an orthogonal camera, rendered an above view of the footsteps object (with a bright white luminous shader assigned to it and the rest of the scene black without any lighting) and used the result as a displacement map for the sand by creating an image map shader set to "through camera" using the same orthogonal camera as some sort of projection. I then used an animated simple shape shader as a mask to make only those footsteps visible, where the guy had already been running.
I could also use this footsteps mesh as an orientation, where the cloud puffs should be.
So, yes, quite a job...  ;)

Nice work Hannes! Let me know if I undertand, you simply move the simple shape shader "over" the projected footstep texture?
And how do you did the fire? is an animated mesh? I understand everything else, Im working in something similar right now :)

Quote from: otakar on November 09, 2017, 12:31:05 PM
Love what Mixamo gives you, but is there a free tool where you can open the FBX and isolate a frame and then export that as an object? All I want now is a static object in the right pose.

Pretty cool stuff you are showing here, Hannes.

otakar you can use meshlab or PovRay. they are both free
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Hannes

Quote from: Ariel DK on November 10, 2017, 10:54:59 AM
Nice work Hannes! Let me know if I undertand, you simply move the simple shape shader "over" the projected footstep texture?
And how do you did the fire? is an animated mesh? I understand everything else, Im working in something similar right now :)

Right!
The fire is basically what I used here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22454.msg226370.html#msg226370

Ariel DK

Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?